The new single-sided Vector pedal from Garmin

News bot

Garmin Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd., announce the availability of Vector S, a single-sensing system which measures the force on cyclist’s left pedal to approximate total power. Vector S has changed how power is measured and how cyclists get power because it is measured at the pedal, where force is applied. It is a direct measurement power meter that delivers reliable and accurate data.

Click here to view the article

So the thinking here is that if Stages can do it, then so can Garmin? This is a case of closing the stable door once the horse has bolted.

Stages is lighter, doesn't have a "rider weight limit" (what's with that anyway?), it's cheaper, and it doesn't get damaged in a crash.

Garmin 0, Stages 1.

The pricing just seems out of line...$899 (R9,860) retail in the US vs. R12,999 - I just don't believe that even if I add shipping and duties that would come to R12,999?!

Yes, but Stages power meters are limited to alu cranks.  Big problem for some.

Very true, but given that alu cranks outnumber carbon by a huge percentage, it's unlikely to result in massive sales for Garmin. 

Yes, but Stages power meters are limited to alu cranks.  Big problem for some.

And Vector is limited to road bikes.........

Also true. I forgot about that.

So, to summarise, if you ride a road bike with carbon cranks, and don't weigh more than 90kg, the Garmin is for you.

For the remaining 95% of cyclists, get the Stages.

Also true. I forgot about that.

So, to summarise, if you ride a road bike with carbon cranks, and don't weigh more than 90kg, the Garmin is for you.

For the remaining 95% of cyclists, get the Stages.

What's the RRP locally for stages?

Well, basically nothing for Campy or SRAM......

Not according to the Stages website... http://www.stagescycling.com/stagespower-models

Only Campy that is not listed.

Although Vector is ONLY road bike compatible, stages is also limited to discipline, unless you want a road crank on your MTB.

The BIG plus for Vector is only having to change the pedals from one bike to another, although changing cranks is also not that complicated.

R9500 - R11500 depending on crank

right, so not all that much cheaper...

Have to say, would love a PM, but until the price point is more around the 5 to 6k level I cannot justify the expense

PowerTap retails for R9995 for the hub and built into a ZTR Crest I see they are R11295...Not bad considering that Stages has some reported water proofing issues so it makes it a bit iffy on MTB water crossings. And has been mentioned the Vector is road only...

As for compatibility what is simpler than changing a wheel? much easier than swopping cranks and pedals - need torque wrenches etc.