The new single-sided Vector pedal from Garmin

News bot

Powertap high flanges results in spoke angles that results in a weaker rear wheel. Crank based or pedal based systems do not make this compromise.

And don't forget the cost of servicing the PowerTap. I am spending R1000+ (including courier cost) twice a year on maintenance of PowerTap. Nothing like that for Stages.

And don't forget the cost of servicing the PowerTap. I am spending R1000+ (including courier cost) twice a year on maintenance of PowerTap. Nothing like that for Stages.

Erm, please explain more? I literally just dropped my wheel to get a G3 built in, and didn't hear anything about this?

Erm, please explain more? I literally just dropped my wheel to get a G3 built in, and didn't hear anything about this?

The PowerTap hub needs to be serviced like any other hub, but it has to be done at CycleOps because after the service the hub needs to be re-calibrated again.

This is a quote from an email conversation I had with a guy from Bicycle Trading before I bought mine (two years ago):

Service intervals all depends on the conditions you ride in, normally every 2000km if one rides on dry conditions, and depending on how often you ride in wet conditions this can vary wheel to wheel. If one can feel the bearings are rough then we normally recommend have the wheel serviced from us.

Service cost is a flat R750 ( 4 x bearings, 4 x O-rings, 1 x seal, 2 x Silver oxide batteries, re-calibration)

Every 2000km!!!!, thats like 6-7 services a year for me or R5250! Sheez, ok.

Whats the services on the Vector/Stages?

Edited by Patchelicious

Every 2000km!!!!, thats like 6-7 services a year for me or R5250! Sheez, ok.

Whats the services on the Vector/Stages?

No, I think the 2000km interval is being too conservative. That would have been 5 services a year for me also, and I found 2 are more than enough. But then I mostly stick to tar when using the PowerTap.

My PowerTap has only been serviced once this year and that is on my mtb, washing regularly etc...My road unit hasn't needed it at all - bearings are still smooth...

Agreed Stages and Vector do not need services BUT what upgrade path do they have? for example a 5 year old hub can be upgraded to the latest G3 system within half an hour.

As for the spoke angle story, the G3 road hubs are the same size as some of the "boutique" systems out there, and they have recently bought out a straight pull option...as well as I see their new mtb hubs will be straight pull...

• 1 month later...

The PowerTap hub needs to be serviced like any other hub, but it has to be done at CycleOps because after the service the hub needs to be re-calibrated again.

This is a quote from an email conversation I had with a guy from Bicycle Trading before I bought mine (two years ago):

Service intervals all depends on the conditions you ride in, normally every 2000km if one rides on dry conditions, and depending on how often you ride in wet conditions this can vary wheel to wheel. If one can feel the bearings are rough then we normally recommend have the wheel serviced from us.

Service cost is a flat R750 ( 4 x bearings, 4 x O-rings, 1 x seal, 2 x Silver oxide batteries, re-calibration)

every 2000km....??

That would be like every 2 months.......infact if i recall thats why I sold mine. rear spokes kept breaking and the bearings wear being constantly adjusted and wearing out.

I'd go for Stages or any other system not severely compromising my ride