Just how tough is the Absa Cape Epic? A look at the numbers

News bot

The Absa Cape Epic 2015 route was unveiled this week with the obligatory grimaces and no disappointments. 739 kilometers in total and 16 000 meters of climbing await riders from the 45 countries represented. Riders have five months to get the recommended 20 hours per week of training in. There will be some reality checks, wake up calls and, no doubt, a few texts between rider pairs to get their act together.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

"There were 2174 Mediclinic consultations and the average heart rate through the race ranged from 57bpm to 184bpm"

That must include sleeping time and even then....57 bpm average ?

That second last paragraph is telling - nearly 2 out of every 3 riders bought a R40K+ (my estimate) new bike for the race. Absolutely crazy!

Quote:

"There were 2174 Mediclinic consultations and the average heart rate through the race ranged from 57bpm to 184bpm"

That must include sleeping time and even then....57 bpm average ?

or some REAAAAALLY fit riders...

I believe that could possibly be average heart rate range, as opposed to a single figure average? 57bpm average resting, and 184bpm average max

I reckon 12 a week for 3 months, assuming you are a regular rider is fine. Maybe 2/3 weeks where you take it up to 16/17 hours if you can.

If you look at the Tour d' France cyclists, guys like Miguel Indurain and Chris Boardman have resting heart rates of 28 bpm and 38 bpm, respectively. That is approximately one beep for every two seconds.

A true Diesel machine :)

Having a resting HR of 28 must have terminally terrifying for Indurain. Hearing and feeling your heart beat like that every 2-3 seconds with violent force.