The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While not as tough as Baviaans, (that's like saying lethal injection is better than a firing squad - ultimately the same result) the 36One is a tough ride. But an amazing one.

Really?? I didnt find Trans Baviaans a tough ride, long but not that tough considering the first 130 is down.......... Makes me feel better about my 1st 360 attempt next year.....

Edited by MuddyMike

And we have the winner of 36One 2014.

How things going!!

Jeankie welcome.... are you going to be back for 2015?

Thanks for the welcome Leon! despite of a broken rib (stupid crash last weekend) all is almost well... recovering from Bridge Cape Pioneer.. got a little ill   :blink: Its anyway off season here. 36ONE 2015 who knows.. 

It is almost impossible to ride the full distance in training but I did one 220km ride on district roads and a total of 6x150km or bigger. One needs to know what your body needs in terms of nutrition and pacing and bear in mind that night riding can be a bit slower as you mostly ride with your light on dim to save the battery. We rode well within ourselves but still managed 25km/h, which is what we trained for. Ride in training what you want to achieve at the event but use an average speed. Ride the climbs in an easy gear at about 70% your normal climbing speed and remember there is over 5000m of ascent. It is difficult to train your body for this event but if your mind can hold so will your body, that's the trick to endurance events.

Did it solo last year just under 15h, was broken (hit the wall) 3-4 times during the race.

If you used to mental and physical pain this race is for you.

Maybe going to give it another go in 2015.

Is your comma in the right place Jean?

this is not me MaxUmis  ;)

Oh, sorry, my bad  :blush:

I thought Jean was the only solo rider to finish under 15 hours in 2014  :blush:

http://www.the36one.co.za/downloads/36ONE-MTB-Challenge-2014-Results.pdf

And we have the winner of 36One 2014.

How things going!!

Jeankie welcome.... are you going to be back for 2015?

I hope @JeankiePowerrr will be back to defend his title in 2015.

Truly a fantastic ambassador for the sport. :thumbup:   

Mmmm...25km/h.

I'm looking for a finish. An adventure. And maybe a photo or two with an ostrich.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 15 - 18km/h.

You will be surprised, the speeds are around the 20-25km/h it is constant.

How will you guys ensure that your gps units run the full 361km? Just my tip on what I will be using  ^_^

I know the Bryton ryder 40 has 24hr battery life but its memory is too small if you want to have power data for the whole race....

So I am going to use my CycleOps Joule... solution is that I will be riding with a Amped battery back, its small and can charge your phone even. (the pack can charge an iphone twice)

The CycleOps Joule can charge while operating. :thumbup:

http://amped.co.za/

Edited by RockSpider85

How will you guys ensure that your gps units run the full 361km? Just my tip on what I will be using  ^_^

I know the Bryton ryder 40 has 24hr battery life but its memory is too small if you want to have power data for the whole race....

So I am going to use my CycleOps Joule... solution is that I will be riding with a Amped battery back, its small and can charge your phone even. (the pack can charge an iphone twice)

http://amped.co.za/

i'm considering it, but to keep my Garmin running I need a OTG usb cable 

http://www.bikeforums.net/long-distance-competition-ultracycling-randonneuring-endurance-cycling/875899-garmin-500-long-rides.html

Is a OTG cable a micro usb ? if so, the amped device comes with a micro usb and normal.

Just googled it and seems like the same thing. See attached pic. Sorry if I misunderstood  :blush: dont know the garmin devices.

post-40458-0-28728500-1415866633_thumb.jpg

Is a OTG cable a micro usb ? if so, the amped device comes with a micro usb and normal.

Just googled it and seems like the same thing. See attached pic. Sorry if I misunderstood  :blush: dont know the garmin devices.

no its not the same thing unfortunately, the garmin charges with a USB Mini-B. but a standard usb forces the unit to switch off and charge, it can't work and charge at the same time.

a OTG cable allows you to charge run the unit of aux power without it switching off

no its not the same thing unfortunately, the garmin charges with a USB Mini-B. but a standard usb forces the unit to switch off and charge, it can't work and charge at the same time.

a OTG cable allows you to charge run the unit of aux power without it switching off

Ok cool beans.

just what we will need. Where will we find such a cable?? tx

just what we will need. Where will we find such a cable?? tx

bidorbuy has a few, it should be a usb female to usb mini-b OTG cable