The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Not as tough as Baviaans... I have done 3x Transbaviaans, first one with only 8months cycling on and off when I bought my first bike, only got the entry a couple of weeks before the race with no real training and still managed to finish in around 16hours.  36One I absolutely agree with the other guys, is a whole different ball game and mentally even more. A lot more climbing and 50% more distance. It's one hell of a race, but awesome.  I have also never seen so many people quite a race as in 36One, we were close to the end as we had one goal an that was to finish it not winning it, lets just say at every waterpoint there was loads of bikes from guys that couldn't go on anymore.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it also depends on what time you would like to finish, and if you are going for a Top 10 Finish.

I think this is a personal thing. For me, Baviaans is a 9hr balls to the wall race. It hurts. Lots.

36One is a more measured approach. Yes it's longer, but I'm sitting in a zone that is comfortable. It's the same pace I ride when doing 24hr races. Stay out of the red, conserve momentum, recover on downhills, look after your body etc...

Ave HR for Baviaans 2014 (I sucked at 2015) - 151. Ave HR for 36One for 2014 and 2015 - 141.

Do you think doing it (36One & TB) on a hard tail will be fine? I know no matter on what bike you do it, it won't really be fine.  :unsure:

Was just wondering if the terrain will allow for a HT.

Edited by edgarblount

My 2c - Have not yet done the TB, but if memory serves me right the total climbing we did last year in the 36one measured in the region of 5200 to 5400 (we were 2 who rode together). It is an awesome experience but do not confuse it with a race with the distance of the TB. It is in fact a TB with a further ultra marathon on top and serious climbing in the last 180km. At the 180km mark we were still very well positioned compared to the rest of the field and positive that we may still finish very well but the second half of that race must not be underestimated. That being said, finishing that race leaves one with goose bumps! With the same approach to both the 36one must obviously be more difficult, whether you want to race or ride the respective events... Both are undoubtedly bucket list events - It was 36one for me in 2015 and its TB for me in 2016!

Both my friend and I did it on hard tails and it was no problem. It does not matter what you ride, you will have pain and fatigue for at least 12 hours, the dual sus will only delay it kicking in!

Good luck to everyone entering! Have an awesome ride!

Safe training!

Cheers

Do you think doing it (36One & TB) on a hard tail will be fine? I know no matter on what bike you do it, it won't really be fine.  :unsure:

Done TB 10 times on a HT, and 36One twice on a HT

I completed the 360ne on a hard tail last year....not a pleasant experience, especially the section before Rooiberg pass

• 3 weeks later...

So the Base training phase have started for Gir-T and I.

This year our goal was to do the 36One and a week later the Transkaroo(240km) and I am chuffed to say we achieved it.

Next year it will be the 36One and a week later the Dash2Durban.JHB to Durban 640km in 60 hours,anybody joining us???? :devil:  :devil:

640km in 60 hours,anybody joining us????  :devil:   :devil:

Thinking seriously about the Dash but age may be against me??????

Solo is the way to go.

640km in 60 hours,anybody joining us????  :devil:   :devil:

Thinking seriously about the Dash but age may be against me??????

Solo is the way to go.

Sepia,Endurance racing is not for the young guns,us mature guys are excelling in it!!!

You can see it in the Desert Dash entries as well - 95-98% of the solos are in the 35-55 age category while the teams are mostly younger riders. At about 200-250km the laaities start crying for their mommies...

• 1 month later...