The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Something about this race has me amped to do it.

What kind of training is required for it?

I can currently do a 60 to 75km ride on my MTB with no problems, and 100km on the road bike.

Excuse the n00b questions, but I am keen and would like some advice on how to properly prepare. This just looks too awesome to miss, and I am always up for a challenge.

Climbing, more climbing, interval training, more interval training and then also some long hours in the saddle.... For working class it is also a juggling act. Interval training allows your body to deal with the stresses you place on it and climbing gets your head right for those long climbs.....But its also all about nutrition intake and keeping your engine going..... 

Try work through a target goal and periodic training program.....

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there maybe someone doing the relay (either 2 man or 4 man team) looking for a partner?

I will be down there over that weekend and am quite keen to have a ride.

I would like to know if it will be possible for me to catch a lift down to the race?  I will obviously share petrol and toll cost  :) 

I would like to know if it will be possible for me to catch a lift down to the race?  I will obviously share petrol and toll cost   :)

When do you want to leave? And also depends where you booked in and from when?

I might be driving alone to Oudshoorn, (if wifey doesn't want to tag along), but im leaving on the 12th of April, and prob only coming back on the 18th. Depends on how fast im finishing and how I feel afterwards. :ph34r:  :rolleyes:

Well i'm booked in at Kleinplaas from the 12-18th.

Edited by Lexx

I might be driving alone to Oudshoorn, (if wifey doesn't want to tag along), but im leaving on the 12th of April, and prob only coming back on the 18th. Depends on how fast im finishing and how I feel afterwards. :ph34r:  :rolleyes:

Well i'm booked in at Kleinplaas from the 12-18th.

PM send.

I am. Yip plenty Nervous. Been sick last weekend and beginning of the week. So haven't done a Long ride 120km+ this month. And lost a couple of training days. So the stress levels are pretty high. Lol.????

I am. Yip plenty Nervous. Been sick last weekend and beginning of the week. So haven't done a Long ride 120km+ this month. And lost a couple of training days. So the stress levels are pretty high. Lol.

You got to put the set-backs aside, don't try place catch up - that just adds to the stress and places your system under more stress. Just keep going from where you left off. If you relatively fit and only sick for a day or three, it shouldn't impact negatively too much. For 36One, you got to keep the mind strong........ ;)

I have been nervous since not finishing last year's 36One, got to 310km and called it a day. I am very quiet this year, focussing on the positive and to finish this year. 

From my side to the first timers, do not under estimate those hills and the section after Calitzdorp was pure hell for me, thank goodness I was riding solo, for the first time cried on my bike he he he he  :blush:

Hopefulle learnt from my mistakes from last year.....let's see. 

All I can also say is that the guys passing me was always so friendly and up for a joke or a chat.

I have been nervous since not finishing last year's 36One, got to 310km and called it a day. I am very quiet this year, focussing on the positive and to finish this year.

From my side to the first timers, do not under estimate those hills and the section after Calitzdorp was pure hell for me, thank goodness I was riding solo, for the first time cried on my bike he he he he :blush:

All I can also say is that the guys passing me was always so friendly and up for a joke or a chat.

I will also be crying alot, on the inside. Luckily for me, I'm the only mad one around here in the Lowveld that's doing it. And been training all alone. So I'm use to talking to myself for long hours in the sadle.

Just have to work in a long night ride end of the month or early March.

I will also be crying alot, on the inside. Luckily for me, I'm the only mad one around here in the Lowveld that's doing it. And been training all alone. So I'm use to talking to myself for long hours in the sadle.

Just have to work in a long night ride end of the month or early March.

My long/night ride is Trans Draak next weekend,  :whistling:

My long/night ride is Trans Draak next weekend, :whistling:

So jealous..... That's on my Bucketlist for next year.

My long/night ride is Trans Draak next weekend,  :whistling:

looking forward its going to be fun . I complete the 361 last year and only doing the half this year ( to have some fun  and motivate the fullers along the way ) both these races are such great races to do 

looking forward its going to be fun . I complete the 361 last year and only doing the half this year ( to have some fun  and motivate the fullers along the way ) both these races are such great races to do 

Awesome!! My dad is doing 180 this year again, he did not make the 12hr cutoff by less than 5min last year. So hopefully this year I can pick him up halfway and ride to the finish line together!! 

From my side to the first timers, do not under estimate those hills and the section after Calitzdorp was pure hell for me, thank goodness I was riding solo, for the first time cried on my bike he he he he  :blush:

You are not alone RockSpider85. It was my 1st 360 last year and I failed miserably -not enough training (nowhere near what I've done up to now!). Unfinished business this year to take care of. As for crying on the bike, no shame in it. Its part of the process for some, including me. When that happens, you know you pushing your limits. In wisdom, just have to learn to channel it when it kicks in. Good luck with the rest of the training.... :thumbup: