The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Training going pretty good. Doing Back-to-Back Long rides next weekend. Maybe a 200km+ Ride on Saturday and a 160km on the Sunday...

Good idea, I think I will try the same. My first 36one and pretty excited about it. Training been going well, just wish the race day was closer so can get this done.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, I think I will try the same. My first 36one and pretty excited about it. Training been going well, just wish the race day was closer so can get this done.

Mad I tell ya lol. Was this weekend part of a 36One simulation scenario?

And now!? Not going?.... :wacko:

No, after Trans drak I know I do not have the fitness required for 36One and I do not want to NOT finish again. (If I did not know what is waiting for me, like last year I might have still stay entered) 

Will see what next year holds.

FYI I am selling my entry for R1000 o.n.o and buyer responsible for sub fees. (full distance solo)

I'm going to catch 30 winks at halfway .. . Thinking is (a) I'll need it and (b) i thought the start of the halfmilers was the same as ours, not 12hrs after us

Hi PJD,I respect your decision,however just take in consideration the following:

1. The weather,should it be a hot day (2014) you will go up Rooiberg in the middle of the day (30 degrees +)
  2. The body tends to go in "Go Slow" mode at least mine does if I don't continue and Stage 3 being arguably the toughest stage with CLIMBING starting soon after you leave the checkpoint it can be tough.
  3. I would rather spend some time at Calitzdorp if in need of a rest.

But that is just me ,you know your body and your race strategy as long as you enjoy it!!!!

No, after Trans drak I know I do not have the fitness required for 36One and I do not want to NOT finish again. (If I did not know what is waiting for me, like last year I might have still stay entered) 

Will see what next year holds.

FYI I am selling my entry for R1000 o.n.o and buyer responsible for sub fees. (full distance solo)

Change it for a relay and do 180 with some one else doing the other 180 ( if you can)

Hi PJD,I respect your decision,however just take in consideration the following:

1. The weather,should it be a hot day (2014) you will go up Rooiberg in the middle of the day (30 degrees +)
  2. The body tends to go in "Go Slow" mode at least mine does if I don't continue and Stage 3 being arguably the toughest stage with CLIMBING starting soon after you leave the checkpoint it can be tough.

But that is just me ,you know your body and your race strategy as long as you enjoy it!!!!

I don't like to stop, so will ride the whole way. Will only stop to fill my Water-bottles. Very excited about the race....

Not looking forward to this weekends Big Back-to-Back Long Rides

I suppose on the day/night my body will tell me what to do! I dont know what to expect, and as the guys are saying.... roll on 360! my nerves are frazzled already! 

planning a 6/7 hour night ride this coming Saturday to try and simulate part of the race....

:eek:

Change it for a relay and do 180 with some one else doing the other 180 ( if you can)

Nahhh if I cant ride full 360 then I dont ride. Just my personal preference.  ^_^

I suppose on the day/night my body will tell me what to do! I dont know what to expect, and as the guys are saying.... roll on 360! my nerves are frazzled already! 

planning a 6/7 hour night ride this coming Saturday to try and simulate part of the race....

:eek:

Im also thinking about a 7 hou night ride, but I'm sh@t scared riding all alone.

Im also thinking about a 7 hou night ride, but I'm sh@t scared riding all alone.

Cant help you there....i'll be chilling by my bungalow listening to the animals in the Crocodile River :P

As the weeks creep closer my nerves are getting more and more shattered! Ive been swimming and running inbetween (keeping the running legs going for rooiberg )  :blush: Long rides on  weekends and just keeping the faith. I have strong head dont easily give up. My husband did it last year. They rode 28 hours. and i was awake for 44 hours (with a full work day on the friday and then the whole race) So atleast i have training in sleep deprivation  :thumbup: .

All the best to all the guys and girls riding, lets go have fun and please keep the jokes going through the night.

• The weather,should it be a hot day (2014) you will go up Rooiberg in the middle of the day (30 degrees +)
  • The body tends to go in "Go Slow" mode at least mine does if I don't continue and Stage 3 being arguably the toughest stage with CLIMBING starting soon after you leave the checkpoint it can be tough.
  • I would rather spend some time at Calitzdorp if in need of a rest.

Hi Cejay,

I had to laugh as I don't have a race strategy, but rather a ride one .. ????. I haven't ever ridden for 24 consecutive hrs so don't know what my body will do.

I would far rather ride rooiberg, in the heat, with a body that is rested rather than one that is tired ..

.. And as for the heat, 30deg's is cooler than the 43 we had at last year's berg and bush, plus a monster head wind.

If anything, it's going to be fun finding all this out which will make for an interesting ride .. ????

My longest "night" ride was about 2hrs lol and I only went out at 18h15.

I need to get out when it's a lot darker and a lot quieter to find out what it's like..

.. As for riding alone, in the dark, that's going to be something new. Are the night creatures down there friendly lol

I would far rather ride rooiberg, in the heat, with a body that is rested rather than one that is tired ..

.. And as for the heat, 30deg's is cooler than the 43 we had at last year's berg and bush, plus a monster head wind.

I would also rest at Calitzdorp after Rooiberg. The stage from Calitzdorp to Oudtshoorn is very tough, make no mistake, especially when it is hot. Rest up, have some beef sosaties on roosterkoek and a few cokes and you'll be good to go. I slept so deeply that some of the people thought I'd gone into a coma or something! 

My longest "night" ride was about 2hrs lol and I only went out at 18h15.

I need to get out when it's a lot darker and a lot quieter to find out what it's like..

.. As for riding alone, in the dark, that's going to be something new. Are the night creatures down there friendly lol

I am Planning to do my 8-9h Long Night Ride Come Thursday evening starting at 23:00-00:00, the again a Long 140km+ ride on Saturday morning.

Will be quit an experience riding in the darkness. but kinda excited and nervous at he same time..