Deciding on a selling price for your bike?

jusbob

As the title suggests - what are some factors that one should consider when deciding on a selling price for their bike?

I think its quite a tricky game - come in too low and you let it go for a steal, come in too high and people laugh you off and keep browsing.

Lemme know what you have based your prices on? And any general tips for the first time sellers :)

If it sells within a week it was priced right.

If you have received no comment or offer within a week, it is priced too high.

If you get flamed within an hour of posting it, it is priced way too high.

Edited by Vetseun

Guest DieBees

I think the secondhand market is unfortunately very underpriced if that is the right word. One must feel that you are losing it rather then selling it when you make the price. When making a price look at what you would be willing to pay for it as a potential buyer and not what its worth to you as the seller. The origional purchase price must be forgotten the minute you bought it. It becomes completely irrelevant.

It's a thumbsuck, whichever way you look at it.

When I sell parts, and very occasionally whole bikes, I only consider what my original cost was, and how much the item has been used, then work on a percentage of that number. Usually works out around 40% for well used, 50 - 60 for average use, 70ish for barely used.

I have always found ~ without any exceptions ~ that stripping a bike and selling the components individually realises a higher overall value. The downside is that it involves more work, and takes longer.

50% of retail price...that is if its in very very good condition.

Good place to start.!

Then adjust up/down for condition and more importantly demand.

2nd hand market driven by basic economic principle of supply and demand.