Video: Patrick Morewood on the Pyga Ninetyfive29c Stage

Nick

The Ninetyfive29c Stage has been the cause of much anticipation amongst Pyga fans. The company's first carbon dual suspension bike is designed for cross-country and marathon racing but with a twist. The frame features a slacker head angle, longer top tube and is designed for use with a shorter stem than most XC bikes on the market. For further insight on the development and future of the Ninteyfive29c Stage, watch our interview with Pyga co-founder, Patrick Morewood.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is not wrong...

Completely different suspension design, amongst other things. I think it's the triangle at the seat tube/top tube junction that is the main point of similarity.

looks like a niner Jet 9 RDO... it actually looks exactly like one...  

The only similarity is the curved top tube and the triangular junction where the seat tube and top tube meet.

When you start looking at the rear suspension and the rear triangles, the two bikes are different in just about every way imaginable.  At a glance here are a few differences:

Rear triangle:

Niner has a one-piece rear triangle which attaches to two suspension links.

The Pyga only has one piece chainstays but there is a pivot just above the rear axle

The Niner as the brace on the rear triangle between the left seat stay and the left chainstay

The Pyga does not have this because the seatstays and the chainstays are not a one-piece design, but they are joined via a pivot above the rear axle.

Lower Suspension Pivot

The niner has a link that attaches to the front triangle and then runs below the BB and attaches to the rear triangle

The Pyga's chainstays are attached to a pivot directly in the front triangle.  This pivot is located above the bottom bracket.

As Fantana says... on the face of it, they look similar. But that's all down to the seat tube junction. 

JET9RDO_Frame_Red.jpg

If you have a look here, you see that the similarity is in the top tube and seat tube shape / junction area. And there are very few ways of doing this, while keeping weight down and strength up, as well as retaining a decent standover height. So it's not surprising that this looks somewhat similar to the RDO.

But - have a look at the PYGA again...

ccs-62657-0-57977500-1414500398.jpg

You'll see that where the Niner has a straight down tube, the PYGA is more curved - like Giant's down tube has become over the years. Again, to ensure that thejunction at the BB is super strong. 

The pivot points, rear triangle and shock placement are also very different between the 2. The PYGA is using a derivative of the Split Pivot design, whereas the Niner is more of a Weagle-esque design (like Giant's Maestro as well) except that it runs below the BB instead of above, which makes it very different to the likes of Giant, Ibis and other DW bikes. 

The thing to remember, though, is that there are only a very limited amount of ways a bike frame can be built, whilst retaining its design objectives - strength, weight and rigidity. That means pretty much everything will at least in some point in its life look like something else. 

As Fantana says... on the face of it, they look similar. But that's all down to the seat tube junction. 

JET9RDO_Frame_Red.jpg

If you have a look here, you see that the similarity is in the top tube and seat tube shape / junction area. And there are very few ways of doing this, while keeping weight down and strength up, as well as retaining a decent standover height. So it's not surprising that this looks somewhat similar to the RDO.

Comparison is drawn against the Niner JET9.

"RDO" is a light weight version of the model (and many Niner components). Ie: AIR9, JET9 etc will have a RDO version. The JET9 and JET9 RDO look the same.

Just some Ninerd education  :thumbup:  :clap: ...

Comparison is drawn against the Niner JET9.

"RDO" is a light weight version of the model (and many Niner components). Ie: AIR9, JET9 etc will have a RDO version. The JET9 and JET9 RDO look the same.

Just some Ninerd education  :thumbup:  :clap: ...

Yep. I do know that. My LBS proprietor is a Ninerd of note... One of the original stockists of Niner bikes. 

As for the slip - I'm blaming the meds. 3 myprodol, taken 30 minutes ago...

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Yep. I do know that. My LBS proprietor is a Ninerd of note... One of the original stockists of Niner bikes. 

As for the slip - I'm blaming the meds. 3 myprodol, taken 30 minutes ago...

That'll do it...