[Event] 31 Jan -Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #1 Meerendal

WesselvdWalt

I believe that at least one of the farms has refused permission for the race to take place on their trails, which is probably due to the fact the the organisers went over Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club's heads and contacted the land owners directly. Another land owner who did grant permission has been taken to task for this. The reason is not anything against the race as such, but just which trails will be used, as the club will have to spend a heap of members' money afterwards to get the trails sorted out again.

Last week was the first time that the club committee were formally contacted about this event and which trails were going to be used.

I'm obviously missing something here because I don't quite get the hissy fit & venom spewed by some TMBC members on this race. 

But I trust the landowners, TMBC and the organisers will be able to sort this little misunderstanding out like grown-ups.

Some people should really try to see the bigger picture, this race is good exposure for our trails and unlike the Epic it's a major event that is accessible to all. 

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm obviously missing something here because I don't quite get the hissy fit & venom spewed by some TMBC members on this race. 

But I trust the landowners, TMBC and the organisers will be able to sort this little misunderstanding out like grown-ups.

Some people should really try to see the bigger picture, this race is good exposure for our trails and unlike the Epic it's a major event that is accessible to all. 

Sanity? On thehub? That's just crazy talk!

One of the many things that drives me batty about thehub is the rumour mill followed by the ifbutmaybesoitcouldpossiblybe 20 pages of hypothetical and mostly negative drivel.

You not going to join me in the SS category?? :eek:

hey G, I only own a rigid fork no SS in my stable yet, but soon man, just need to move to a bigger place to accommodate the ever increasing arsenal, lol!!!

No you cannot enter on the day and yes Donovan, you need a board. Both of you boys have a place to stay in Jozi if you ever want to come ride the rest of the series in GAuteng!! Now get off here and get on your bike see you in 45 mins. 

Hi,

so if you still got your MTN SAS number board yiu can use that ?

I've never done a mtb race before. Is a "MB" PPA seeding equivalent to a "B" group road seeding? Currently have PPA seeding of "A" for road racing. Not sure what distance I should do, is the long one a bit optimistic for a first mtb race?

I don't know how strong you are but check the profiles out. I think the ultra may be a little tough. I kind of know what to expect (blood, tears and possibly curled up on the side of the track like a baby) however I will give it my best shot.

MB stands for.... mountain bike. Then you have A-Z depending on your previous results.

It just says eligibility is MB (Current index 19.7) with no other "A, B, C etc". Since there are no previous results, looks like they took my road results and added a penalty to them to get a seeding for MTB.

I've never done a mtb race before. Is a "MB" PPA seeding equivalent to a "B" group road seeding? Currently have PPA seeding of "A" for road racing. Not sure what distance I should do, is the long one a bit optimistic for a first mtb race?

This is not a PPA race so PPA seeding system would not be used.

The SA seeding system is used for this race to determine starting groups.

With an A PPA road seeding you are obviously a very fit cyclist and should be able to do the Ultra Marathon distance. However- If you don’t have very good MTB skills I would reconsider, since this is a proper MTB race were MTB skills is necessary.

Being a first MTB race I would suggest doing the 70km. No matter how strong you are on the road MTB is a totally different ball game. Dont put yourself off for life trying to do the ultra on the first attempt. Go for the shorter route and enjoy it.

Being a first MTB race I would suggest doing the 70km. No matter how strong you are on the road MTB is a totally different ball game. Dont put yourself off for life trying to do the ultra on the first attempt. Go for the shorter route and enjoy it.

Sold! 70km it is, thanks for the advice

I have entered. I didn't select the option to purchase an SASEEDING number board. I don't have one, is it compulsory for the race?

Massive kudos for the option to have your race pack couriered to you and skip registration.

Hi Donovan, yes a SAS number board is compulsory for the race. It is a permanent chipped number board which will set you back R50, you'll be able to use it at any National MTB series, Nissan Trailseeker (Cape & Gauteng) or USN Cup Series Race (Cape & Gauteng). 

If we enter on the day do we still get seeded or do we start in cattle class? This is for the ultra.

Everyone gets seeded even if you enter on the day. The ultra has only one batch, so you'll automatically start in A batch. 

I keep seeing phrases like blood, pain, tears...... What is with you Capies, scared a little?

I am looking forward to the trip, profile looks flat with a few nipples........