[Event] 2015 Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #3 Clarens

WesselvdWalt

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an amazingly beautiful route for the 45. The rock face, the portages was hectic, but the reward from the top was worth it. As for myself - I came off the bike at around 35km, bent rear derailleur (or something). Lost 5min figuring out what is going on - only 5 gears worked. Got cramped badly the last 6km from peddling standing. Was on track to coming in under 3hours, but lost more than ten minutes. All in all nice event. Thanks organisers

So who was it that got taken out by the rooibok?

someone in the Ultra...I passed him very early on in the race. An Afrikaans guy, carry his bike. Sounded very annoyed when he told me what had just transpired. 

Didnt do the half today, the misty mountains didnt look appealing to my slight hangover at 7am. But did have few pangs of regret later when it didnt rain (too) much.

Edited by CleatsnCleavage

Any idea who took the photos? Dying to see if they got any of me and my son from today!

Very glad we did half as well today. This morning it was tough getting up after yesterday's marathon in the legs. And weather wasn't looking great - but after much deliberation we decided to go to the stsrt and check it out. Once there, you might as well line up :-)

And so glad I did. Managed a 2:38 after yesterday's 4:30. Legs took some time to losen up after cramping yesterday - but eventually got going. Had a good day - trails was awesome, view awesome! What a stunning ride this half was!! Will definately be back for more. Had a bit of traffic from the fun rides at the end, but not too hectic.

Great weekend of riding!! Now Sani2C is next :-)

The marathon was a real eye-opener for me. Had excellent pace up until the 48(ish)km mark, when I had the worst cramp in my right leg. It completely seized up - hamstring, quad and calf. I generally don't get cramps, so wasn't mentally prepared to deal with it. Was in a world of pain on the KOM climb(s). Found my legs after that again.

The last 10-15km along the top of the mountains was absolutely amazing - really bucket-list type riding. 

Top-class event.

someone in the Ultra...I passed him very early on in the race. An Afrikaans guy, carry his bike. Sounded very annoyed when he told me what had just transpired.

Didnt do the half today, the misty mountains didnt look appealing to my slight hangover at 7am. But did have few pangs of regret later when it didnt rain (too) much.

We said exactly that; we'll regret not riding if it doesn't rain. Had a few drops, but otherwise perfect weather. Next year!! ;-)

Het die 72km gedoen Saterdag en gister die 45km saam met die beter helfte. Wat 'n slagveld daar agterlangs! Die gladde klippe het 'n paar mense lelik laat afkom! Ons het op 'n stadium 'n tipe "human chain" gemaak om die mense se fietse bo te kry! Wat 'n avontuur! Van die mense daar agter het regtig baie swaar gekry...

Did the Marathon on Saturday, and it was tough (but at least not unbearable). For some reason I only cramp doing the Clarens races... Awesome scenery and trails, enjoyed the people cheering us on. Only missed the baby potatoes at the water points (maybe I was just too far back). Had a bit of rain (with ice) coming down the mountain which made things very interesting.

My wife and son did the 20km on Sunday and also had some fun. I was sure my wife wasn't going to be very happy afterwards (again because of the rain), but luckily she enjoyed the slow ride.

Will be doing this again next year.

My garmin edge 500 measured 71. 2 mates both with garmin edge 800 also measured 71.

My Sunnto also measured 71.2km i'm not complaining I was happy to see the finish line :)

Really enjoyed the riding this weekend and glad the weather played along 

Dit was n uitstekende wedren. Het lekker rustig met die marathon gery (71km). My buddy se eerste ry na n val en sleutelbeen breek. hy het swaar gekry maar klaargemaak. Die natuurtonele was ongelooflik en die wild Zebra en rooibokke was lekker om na te kyk. Sondag oggend rustige 20 km funride met my vrou. Ek dink net dit was n onreg om die funriders 8 km singletrack met die halfmarthon te laat deel. Die 45 km het gesukkel om by van die kinders en vroue verby te kom en ek glo dit was frusterend vir hulle.  Maar ondanks alles was en is dit een van die wedrenne wat bo aan my bucketlist is vir volgende jaar. Klim was 1531 m. Hoe vergelyk dit met die ander en die afstand net oor die 71 km

Dit was n uitstekende wedren. Het lekker rustig met die marathon gery (71km). My buddy se eerste ry na n val en sleutelbeen breek. hy het swaar gekry maar klaargemaak. Die natuurtonele was ongelooflik en die wild Zebra en rooibokke was lekker om na te kyk. Sondag oggend rustige 20 km funride met my vrou. Ek dink net dit was n onreg om die funriders 8 km singletrack met die halfmarthon te laat deel. Die 45 km het gesukkel om by van die kinders en vroue verby te kom en ek glo dit was frusterend vir hulle. Maar ondanks alles was en is dit een van die wedrenne wat bo aan my bucketlist is vir volgende jaar. Klim was 1531 m. Hoe vergelyk dit met die ander en die afstand net oor die 71 km

Dit is my enigste complaint - dit was 'n funride vrou wat my in die veldgras laat beland het en my agterste derailleur gebuig het. Ek was goed opgekrap... Wou slange vang, maar daar was nie [emoji16] Edited by cjlieben