December 2014 - Holiday Ride plans

Frosty

Hopefully I'm not duplicating something already done.

While completing my annual leave form (December holidays), for HR, it got me thinking about my ride plans for December. Considering I plan to be 1600Km away from my normal (sometimes boring) training routes, I thought it might be useful to know where other hubbers will be riding (not only for me, but for everyone planning on riding at their holiday destinations).

I know there are the various threads already listing where group rides take place, but this can be one central place for the December holiday rides only (say 15-Dec to 05-Jan, give or take a few days).

Kleinmond, WC, is my base for 2 weeks - so a few rides to GB/Somerset West, Hermanus, or at Oak Valley/Lebanon Forests are on my list. No skinny wheels for me this year, but I'm willing to join a road ride if there are any.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone coming down to the Highway/DBN area, feel free to get in touch with me for some rides. I'm always keen to meet new hubbers, and we've got a very cool club here for social group mtb and road rides in the area.

You must add Kogelberg nature reserve to your list. It is just outside of Kleinmond and is a lovely ride early in the morning. You could be back home by 10:00 and still do the beach thing with the rest of the family. (The gates only open around 07:00 so don't go too early.)

Last year the MTB route was closed due to floods, but I suppose they will have fixed it 12 months down the line.

Guest notmyname

I'll be in Hermanus from the 19th till the 23rd if you're keen for Hemel en aarde. The mates I'm seeing down there are allergic to bikes so it would be rad to ride a new trail.

You must add Kogelberg nature reserve to your list. It is just outside of Kleinmond and is a lovely ride early in the morning. You could be back home by 10:00 and still do the beach thing with the rest of the family. (The gates only open around 07:00 so don't go too early.)

Last year the MTB route was closed due to floods, but I suppose they will have fixed it 12 months down the line.

Umm last check and it was recent the trail is still closed.

And according to their website, (notice the mountain bike riders pictures) the trail is closed. I suspect they have been wanting bikers out of their for some time. A few years ago there was big issues with bikers using roads to go onto neighbouring property and the neighbours didn't like that !

http://www.capenature.co.za/reserves/kogelberg-nature-reserve/

Also, this is Cape Nature .....

Will be in Oudtshoorn (Kleinplaas) from 15th December. Taking Mtb with. Looking forward to explore some trails there.

Hi Gerald,

I will be in Strand from the 12th till the 21st of December. Maybe we can meet and do oak valley and some other trails. I will be in George from the 22nd till the 4th of Jan. Anyone in that area that want to meet and do some riding?

I'm going to be in Tokai, or maybe Durbanville over Xmas and New Year. Def going to ride Bottelary and some of Tygerberg MTB trails. I also want to get out to Jonkers and Welvanpas.

I'm going to be in Tokai, or maybe Durbanville over Xmas and New Year. Def going to ride Bottelary and some of Tygerberg MTB trails. I also want to get out to Jonkers and Welvanpas.

Lekker, will drink a beer at Seagulls on you :thumbup:

I will be in Uvongo on the South coast. Where/who is the place to hook up with some people for a group ride(MTB)? I dont know the area all that well. 

Will be in Sabie from 26 December to 3 January if anybody is keen to hook up for a MTB ride at Mankele or Sabie itself.

I am also in hermanus from the 15th to the 29th, and im planning on riding every morning pretty much to catch up on lost time, also im awake at 5 anyway. Keen to ride MTB and road, also looking to go hemel and aarde (for first time) and some oak valley (for first time). Would be keen to join rides