Review: 2014 Trek Superfly FS 9

Iwan Kemp

Thanks! Would have been interesting to ride them back to back to get a proper feel for 27.5 "vs" 29 on bikes with the same travel, but different suspension designs. 

For pure XC and Marathon racing I have no doubt the 29er (be that Trek, Giant or Momsen) will be the faster option. For trail riding, especially what we have down in Cape Town it may a different story and some spec changes will most likely have to be made to optimize the bike for the terrain.

In terms of real life suspension feel the Trek and Giant are not that far apart. Having said that I'm sure in a longer travel format each design will show it's prowess.

I enjoy your reviews, always a good read. Would love for a review on the spez enduro, the new one. 

Dont really see many Trek mountain bikes these days, I think their pricing is a bit off compared to the giants and Spez and momsens etc etc.

I enjoy your reviews, always a good read. Would love for a review on the spez enduro, the new one. 

Dont really see many Trek mountain bikes these days, I think their pricing is a bit off compared to the giants and Spez and momsens etc etc.

Thanks, always nice (and good) to hear. We are trying our best to get our grubby little paws on a Spez and an Enduro would be top of my list too. 

Let's see what we can do...

Regarding the wheels, I have a 26" set of these and they're evidently OEM wheels found on Giant (and now Trek) bikes. They're not the lightest, but they're bulletproof. A step up from most entry level wheels, so a good mid-level wheelset.

Regarding the wheels, I have a 26" set of these and they're evidently OEM wheels found on Giant (and now Trek) bikes. They're not the lightest, but they're bulletproof. A step up from most entry level wheels, so a good mid-level wheelset.

Thanks for the info.