Littering and PRO's

Guest Smimby

Last night on Supersport I noticed one of the pro cyclist taking a Gu and biting the plastic top off and spitting it out then he eats the gu and put the packet back in his pocket.

That is still littering in my mind. This is not the first time I see it.

It seems to have become acceptable to tear of that little plastic bit and drop it?

It is PLASTIC not good for the environment or animals.

I also notice an increase in this habit ping the rest of the field. And DARE you say something, you get the F----off etc

Edited by Smimby

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it as well and i agree with you. Irritates me to the core. I do think however that their mind is on other stuff at that stage and that you would not change it that easy. To change we should take on the company to alter their design a bit so you cant tear it off completely, because if you think about it they are causing the problem. With even the best intentions sometimes you do drop stuff without you even knowing it

Perhaps the manufacturers need to re-look at their packaging, making opening it more enviromentatlly friendly without tearing off peices or making a more biodegradable tear off tab.

The best thing is to tape your gel sachet tops to your top tube, Easy to reach and rip.

That is brillaint! Never thought of that, we normally just bight a cut into the corner of the GU so no messy top flap and then just put the empty one in the back pocket. Will this idea work for mtb or will the shaking cause it to tear off? No use in losing a few much needed GU's as well as littering

Edited by Letum911

Hmmm, At least he put the big part in his pocket so he is trying.

Not really. 

If every rider at W2W only dropped a small piece of plastic, we'd still sit with a big heap of rubbish.

That is brillaint! Never thought of that, we normally just bight a cut into the corner of the GU so no messy top flap and then just put the empty one in the back pocket. Will this idea work for mtb or will the shaking cause it to tear off? No use in losing a few much needed GU's as well as littering

Yes MTB as well.

Gu packets are impractical. Even of you try, they are so sticky that 1/10 times you will drop one unknowingly even of you try to get both parts back into your pocket. Im all for, bananas, nuts and jelly babies. Littering amongst cylists is very common and totally disgusting

Perhaps the manufacturers need to re-look at their packaging, making opening it more enviromentatlly friendly without tearing off peices or making a more biodegradable tear off tab.

One or both of those solutions would definitely be the best resolution to this issue.

In all due respect to the OP, when you are riding in an elite peloton with the gutter on one side and a cross wind on the other, where to place a piece of 1cm x 1cm plastic is not foremost on your mind...