2 bike or 3 bike carrier

Meentb

Howzit guys.

I'm in the market for a thule towbar mounted stand on carrier. Either the euroway or euroride.

I will only ever carry 2 bikes max. Should I get the 2 bike or the 3 bike. I've heard stories of people saying it's better to load 2 bikes on a 3 bike carrier.

Any advice and experiences would be appreciated.

I find that the three bike carrier is good for two mtb's with the same height bars and saddles because you can get them to fit by leaving the middle space empty.

And takes three road bikes nicely regardless of heights in case you ever need to.

I use a buzzrack, 4 bike trailer. Works really well. Was going for Thule until I saw the price, got the buzzrack for almost half the price and no issues

I've got a 3 bike carrier (Menabo Winny), mostly carries only one bike but do carry three at times. I would also rather take a rack that tilts, especially if the third bike is mounted close to the car (not to get into the boot, but to load the bike on the rack).

Thule is expensive, but I think the best in terms of features. I like my Menabo, but the only hassle is that the upright U-shaped pipe is not always long enough (can be a bit of a puzzle-building exercise to get 3 bikes on the rack).

I bought from Rack and Carry (good service and price).

If you're going to transport Mtb's, go and look at ezrack.co.za. 30% of the price of a Thule, 100% more durable.

The 2bike ons is a bit small, if you want to fit a DH bike with a normal bike, I have one of those R999 from markro that is the same as the 2010 Thule rack, I had to move a few things to fit the two bikes. If you will be loading 2 Road/XC MTB on the rack, the 2 one will work otherwise I would advise the 3bike one.

Ive got 3 bike Thule. Never looked back. Ever. They are expensive though.

Ditto on this.

Having a 3 bike carrier does make it it a lot easier to load 2 bikes, but loading 3 was no hassle, once you figure out how to "build the puzzle"

I can't comment on other brands, but I've had my Euroway (I think it's called) for almost 4 years now, no worries at all. Hope i haven't jinxed it now  :blink:

I have the advantage of putting my bikes in my van, so I have never owned a bike rack, but I have used a few when traveling with mates. I would like to add to what linuxlg said about the buzzrack (dont know their prices though), but I saw them at the africa cycle fair and I really thought they were built well and of good quality.

If you know you will mostly be transfering only 2 bikes I will go for the 3 bike rack. Not only because of the easy of putting those 2 bikes on all the time, but the odd chance a friend might want to tag along (or you take an aditional bike...I very rarely only travel with one bike for myself and they multipy as quick as rabits).

I have the Thule Xpress 970, 2 bike towball mounted, quick release mechanism. For one bike it is great, under half a minute to mount and load bike, however the only way to get two full sussers on there is to take the saddles off. I asked if I could put the three bike arms on and was told blah blah blah the Swedes have only rated them for two bikes and you can't remove the arms without damaging the whole mechanism (it's designed to do that!).

The Thule HangOn 3 bike towball mounted rack is not quick release (needs a spanner) and costs a whole lot more, but for regular 2 bike work I would recommed this one, as far as Thule's are concerned.

But go to http://www.rackandcarry.co.za/Bike-Racks to see a whole range of options...

Get the 3 bike one.  Space between bikes when transporting them is always good.

As mentioned previously you will battle mounting two mountain bikes of the same height

on a 2 bike rack

Get the 3 bike one.  Space between bikes when transporting them is always good.

As mentioned previously you will battle mounting two mountain bikes of the same height

on a 2 bike rack

Listen to the man- get the three bike one. I have a two and the expansion costs are stupid

I recently bought a bike rack, although it is a strap on and not a tow bar, and decided to go for the 3 bike one as it was not much more than the 2 bike one. Also, when my daughter gets older, she only 5 months now, i would like to get her and the wife into cycling so a bit of forward planning. I got the Thule passage 3 and must say it's pretty awsome, no issues so far on it