The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

There's going to be a lot of love for Specialized on the Origin of Trails in Stellenbosch today. Without their assistance the trails up and down that mountain would not have existed.

You either have a very short memory or you're just plain ignorant. Contrary to popular belief mountain biking was neither created nor perfected by Specialized.

From my point of view, no one has done more for trail building in Stellenbosch and the surrounding areas than Meurant Botha, and he's been at it for much longer than those specialized sign boards have been up at Jonkershoek.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You either have a very short memory or you're just plain ignorant. Contrary to popular belief mountain biking was neither created nor perfected by Specialized.

From my point of view, no one has done more for trail building in Stellenbosch and the surrounding areas than Meurant Botha, and he's been at it for much longer than those specialized sign boards have been up at Jonkershoek.

Meurant makes a living from trail building, his trail tag system and running a few events. He does not represent any bike brand and also does not get any real assistance from a major brand, bar a sponsored Giant for his personal use. He is not compelled to do what he does for the trails, but will in all likelihood have to take a desk job if he chooses to stop. No one forced Specialized to assist the trail building efforts in Jonkershoek. They could have gotten that milage in a number of other initiatives. The difference is that Meurant gets paid for his trail work and Specialized pay to have trail work done. We need the Bennets and Meurants, but we need other brands to come to the party in the way Specialized did.

Back on topic. Had a Specialized MTB years ago. I wont get one again, cos Mike Sinyard reminds me a bit of Lance...

people were building trails in the western cape long before Spaz started using it as a marketing engine. Giant were the first to sponsor Dirtopia and trail advocacy in the Western Cape. Guess your heads to far up Spaz arse for you to know a bit of history. Before then, CCS was sponsoring the Cannondale XC series that also resulted in lots of trails being built.

But since MTB only started 5 years ago when Spaz started talking I guess they invented the trails too...

I think it is fantastic that these companies are happy to sponsor trail building but I guess we'll have to just recognize where we differ, I don't care what bike you ride but you clearly do.  It is also clear that your hatred for a brand has made you devoid of all reason and you fail to acknowledge when someone gives something back to the sport. Let's see how deep these goes would you boycott a trail simply because it is sponsored by the brand you hate?

Oh and because it is important to you I ride a Spez and a Dale and I like both for different reasons, you work out your own issues with that!

Meurant makes a living from trail building, his trail tag system and running a few events. He does not represent any bike brand and also does not get any real assistance from a major brand, bar a sponsored Giant for his personal use. He is not compelled to do what he does for the trails, but will in all likelihood have to take a desk job if he chooses to stop. No one forced Specialized to assist the trail building efforts in Jonkershoek. They could have gotten that milage in a number of other initiatives. The difference is that Meurant gets paid for his trail work and Specialized pay to have trail work done. We need the Bennets and Meurants, but we need other brands to come to the party in the way Specialized did.

Actually we don't need brands to come to the party the way Spaz did simply because that course is not sustainable. its just a marketing tactic that works for now because it preys on loyalty: "look what we did for you" and you feel compelled to buy their product. What we really need is more Meurants and Benett's funded by the riders. Trouble that path is harder and slower and all we want is immediate gratification right

BTW Meurant started getting a salary out of Dirtopia not that long ago. For many years he didn't get a dime for his work. It as only after a group of riders put some cash together and sent him to an IMBA Convention that the wheels started turning. Thereafter some sponsors came on board and Giant initially sponsored bikes for the Delvera trail and jump bike centre.

The S only got on board once the boom started and suddenly they get the credit for the effort a lot of people were putting in. Man what a joke. Maybe it happened earlier and a little faster with their cash but it would have been done without them.

But in this case because fanboys are involved, facts must be hating or sumfing right LOL

Edited by GoLefty!!

Actually we don't need brands to come to the party the way Spaz did simply because that course is not sustainable. its just a marketing tactic that works for now because it preys on loyalty: "look what we did for you" and you feel compelled to buy their product. What we really need is more Meurants and Benett's funded by the riders. Trouble that path is harder and slower and all we want is immediate gratification right

BTW Meurant started getting a salary out of Dirtopia not that long ago. For many years he didn't get a dime for his work. It as only after a group of riders put some cash together and sent him to an IMBA Convention that the wheels started turning. Thereafter some sponsors came on board and Giant initially sponsored bikes for the Delvera trail and jump bike centre.

The S only got on board once the boom started and suddenly they get the credit for the effort a lot of people were putting in. Man what a joke. Maybe it happened earlier and a little faster with their cash but it would have been done without them.

But in this case because fanboys are involved, facts must be hating or sumfing right LOL

Specialized saw a need rather than an opportunity. They have openly invited other brands to get involved as well (Scott in particular) and was happy to remove their branding if others also started to contribute. The riders have not contributed in 10 years what the big S raised in 10 months. It is as sustainable as having DHL Sponsoring WP rugby, the Stormers and Newlands as a venue. It has a shelf life and it is up to those involved to make the most of it, i.e. Ensure that the Jonkerhoek Brand is attractive for similar sponsorships in future. I bought a Stumpy before it was known to me that they have done so much in Jonkershoek. I knew about their involvement with songo.info through Burry and Christof's efforts, but that is just a little bit of warm and fuzzy to me, not something that influenced my purchasing decision. I can imagine how the trail building efforts would be transformed in places like Tokai with this kind of involvement.

Specialized saw a need rather than an opportunity. They have openly invited other brands to get involved as well (Scott in particular) and was happy to remove their branding if others also started to contribute. The riders have not contributed in 10 years what the big S raised in 10 months. It is as sustainable as having DHL Sponsoring WP rugby, the Stormers and Newlands as a venue. It has a shelf life and it is up to those involved to make the most of it, i.e. Ensure that the Jonkerhoek Brand is attractive for similar sponsorships in future. I bought a Stumpy before it was known to me that they have done so much in Jonkershoek. I knew about their involvement with songo.info through Burry and Christof's efforts, but that is just a little bit of warm and fuzzy to me, not something that influenced my purchasing decision. I can imagine how the trail building efforts would be transformed in places like Tokai with this kind of involvement.

sure, you keep telling yourself those warm fuzzy feely thingy's.

btw in Spaz world.

Opportunity = Need = Opportunity

Openly invited other brands in a manner that disadvantages other brands,.......hmmmmmm = opportunity for only 1.

I think you convinced yourself of the warm and fuzziness. Its all just business and thats pretty cold and heartless while helping you enjoy the journey so you preach the gospel according to Spaz

Edited by GoLefty!!

sure, you keep telling yourself those warm fuzzy feely thingy's.

btw in Spaz world.

Opportunity = Need = Opportunity

Openly invited other brands in a manner that disadvantages other brands,.......hmmmmmm = opportunity for only 1.

I think you convinced yourself of the warm and fuzziness. Its all just business and thats pretty cold and heartless while helping you enjoy the journey

And you convinced yourself of the opposite. Why not simply appreciate the effort others put in?

I never said the effort is not appreciated. That's your interpretation because I don't spread the spaz gospel.

I did say that the trails would have been built anyway.

That is neither being unappreciative nor is it "hating". Its purely fact. Use it, don't use it. The problem with structure of interpretation is not mine.

"The S only got on board once the boom started", and only then. 

Don't worry Lefty, there are still people around who remember. PR works that way, it induces "I don't remember a time before.. " syndrome.

Diligence built the trails, fortunately the brands are there now to support this persistence.. Would just be a shame to see them take all the credit – but if it means more trails, then so be it I guess.

Kudos to the S men at Haiiaiaia safari this weekend...very cool demo day.

Lots of bikes in different models in all sizes...Standout was the s-works enduro...i made an oops in my chamois after giving it a flick around the course.

"The S only got on board once the boom started", and only then.

Don't worry Lefty, there are still people around who remember. PR works that way, it induces "I don't remember a time before.. " syndrome.

Diligence built the trails, fortunately the brands are there now to support this persistence.. Would just be a shame to see them take all the credit – but if it means more trails, then so be it I guess.

I suspect Tokai could do with about R150k a year for trail building. 12 Saturdays a a year with a few volunteers is also not sustainable. If that means Scott or Rocky branding on the signage, it would be a small price to pay. My interpretation of Specialized involvement is that they took the decision not to go the traditional agency route and opted for official representation from HQ in SA. that happened when numbers justified it (the 'boom'). With influence and guidance from some of their top athletes they saw the need in Jonkershoek and got involved. They probably would sell more bikes by sponsoring the Paul Roos MTB squad and have a nice big sign up at the school, but thats no good if the trails are not being looked after. I suspect that other brands are reluctant to contribute in this fashion due to the agency model that would essentially mean money out of agents pockets.

I suspect Tokai could do with about R150k a year for trail building. 12 Saturdays a a year with a few volunteers is also not sustainable. If that means Scott or Rocky branding on the signage, it would be a small price to pay. My interpretation of Specialized involvement is that they took the decision not to go the traditional agency route and opted for official representation from HQ in SA. that happened when numbers justified it (the 'boom'). With influence and guidance from some of their top athletes they saw the need in Jonkershoek and got involved. They probably would sell more bikes by sponsoring the Paul Roos MTB squad and have a nice big sign up at the school, but thats no good if the trails are not being looked after. I suspect that other brands are reluctant to contribute in this fashion due to the agency model that would essentially mean money out of agents pockets.

Ah, sometimes it just good to reflect on where the sport started, and I like where it's heading too. The critical mass as you say, finally made investment possible. You hit the nail on the head about the agents mind you, but there are still a few daring groups out there that hold altruism high. 

As good as a big S or M or G or T on the trail looks, it just needs reminding that it's not because of the letter that the trails exist. The risk of working towards a set of moving goal posts was assumed by people without names or titles, who could handle rejection and carry on. Those volunteers everyone is happy to now compare with sustainability, that's years of sweat waiting for the right time and a willing sponsor.

Maybe it's too early to be nostalgic, heck, Klunkerz only came out a few years ago!

After a very quick Google search this is but a few of the results that have come up:

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/specialized-lawsuit-again-760256.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/specialized-hasnt-sued-anyone-almost-6-months-its-time-lawsuit-907245.html

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/specialized-facing-social-media-storm-after-roubaix-lawsuit-threat/015773

This, I think, represents why people dislike Spaz. They started off by copying and mass producing a Richey frame and then have the audacity to turn around and sue others!!!

Do yourselves a favour and watch a movie called Klunkers, maybe you will understand a bit better.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Sjoe, emotions running high here. I might be seen as a Spez Fanboy somewhere in the future. I own a set of bibs with the big S on it. I also own a shirt with the big S on it. I might not have worn it all together yet, but someday I might open my closet, grab a pair of bibs and a shirt and viola, I am gunning it down the trails on my big S, dressed in the big S from head to toe. Sh!t happens hey!

But seriously now, when I decided end of last year that I will treat myself to a new bike as a graduation gift to myself, I researched bikes for about two months. It had to be a DS, carbon frame beauty in black and red (because its faster that way :whistling: ), tailored to be the fastest XCO/XCM bike I could afford.

I read up on the claims the different manufacturers had about the technology on their bikes. I read up about the different suspension modes. I fell in love with the way the Brain suspension works (might be the engineer in me, I just want to open that Brain up and stare at it :blush: ).

I went to every shop in Pta to see the bikes I researched in their full glory. In the end, the way I was treated at Lynnwood Cyclery, compared to every other bike shop (except perhaps Hotspot), plus the fact that I felt the Epic World Cup was the best bike for me, made me buy the Specialized. Nothing else. Now I support the shop, I call it my LBS and the Club I ride for. So yes, I like buying stuff from them, even though it has the big S on it.

I might also not end up on the podium at the races and yes, guys on, dare I say it, 26'ers (gasp) probably have beaten me at some of the races I have done. So am I now one of those guys with "too much money to burn" or just a loyal customer to a shop that treated me exceptionally well? Stop judging people you don't know on what they ride and rather enjoy doing what all of us on this forum love doing.

PS. I was talking about cycling né :devil:

Shame G, there you go preaching damnation. Is faith in your product waivering?

I would have been very happy if the trail signage in Jonkers did not still sport a big S on them. It would have implied that some of the other manufacturers got on board as well. FYI. I also have a Giant in my bike shed. I am sure that the secret big S club won't suspend my "fanboy" or "disciple" or <insert derogatory terminology here> status as a result. post-5386-1417438100,5406.jpg

Edited by GLuvsMtb