Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

Should maybe just slap a pair of flats on my bike first and try it out with my H-Tec trail running shoes with Viram soles first to see how things work.

DO NOT do that. I used my trail Solomans for a ride when I forgot my 5.10's at home. I remember thinking "how bad could it be?". Sheet in your pants all over your bike bad is how it could be.

When you're used to flats that GRIP there is no going back to riding with tekkies or whatever you have lying around the house. Definitely not out on the trails.

A lof of people ride in their running / tennis tekkies on cheap, plastic flats and then complain or comment that their feet slip off the whole time and they have no confidence...no kidding!

It's not the same. It never is. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how much difference between impact low's and freeriders? I bought freeriders cause i preferred what they look like... any meaningful differences?

So how much difference between impact low's and freeriders? I bought freeriders cause i preferred what they look like... any meaningful differences?

Nope. Same rubber, different insole & upper. The Impact Lows have slightly more protection around the edges (toe box / sides etc) and a slightly higher heel box, but the grip should be pretty much the same. 

The only thing they may differ in is stiffness - I think the IL's are sliiiightly stiffer than the Freeriders. 

DO NOT do that. I used my trail Solomans for a ride when I forgot my 5.10's at home. I remember thinking "how bad could it be?". Sheet in your pants all over your bike bad is how it could be.

When you're used to flats that GRIP there is no going back to riding with tekkies or whatever you have lying around the house. Definitely not out on the trails.

A lof of people ride in their running / tennis tekkies on cheap, plastic flats and then complain or comment that their feet slip off the whole time and they have no confidence...no kidding!

I dunno...I rope in my Salomons for a long time on my DMR V8's and currently ride in my Montrails ...both trail runners and very sledom loose a foot off of a pedal. Sure the 5.10's would be better, but these I had so why replace when I have little issue with them :)

I dunno...I rope in my Salomons for a long time on my DMR V8's and currently ride in my Montrails ...both trail runners and very sledom loose a foot off of a pedal. Sure the 5.10's would be better, but these I had so why replace when I have little issue with them :)

You'd be surprised... Really, you would be... 

You'd be surprised... Really, you would be... 

At what...loosing a foot off of a pedal 1 in 15 rides as opposed to 1 in 10? I am sure they are much better, but at this point I have much better things to spend my cash on...Like a dropper :P 

Maybe my body has just grown accustomed to riding my trail runners to the point where it doesn't really make much diff anymore  :thumbup:

At what...loosing a foot off of a pedal 1 in 15 rides as opposed to 1 in 10? I am sure they are much better, but at this point I have much better things to spend my cash on...Like a dropper :P

Maybe my body has just grown accustomed to riding my trail runners to the point where it doesn't really make much diff anymore  :thumbup:

Not only that, but also stiffness, longevity, resistance to wear on the pins, and just plain traction on the pedals. Trail running shoes pale in comparison... 

Not only that, but also stiffness, longevity, resistance to wear on the pins, and just plain traction on the pedals. Trail running shoes pale in comparison... 

That's not the point. I don't disagree with the fact that they make better shoes.

I disagree with the suggestion of going to buy 5.10's when you have trail runners already which work more than well enough for the purpose.

Sure, when they're worn out (yes that will be soon) then get the real deal, but no need now

That's not the point. I don't disagree with the fact that they make better shoes.

I disagree with the suggestion of going to buy 5.10's when you have trail runners already which work more than well enough for the purpose.

Sure, when they're worn out (yes that will be soon) then get the real deal, but no need now

yeah, 100%

and yes, a dropper is important as well!

a bike without a dropper...  is hardly a bike at all

nooit Crow ... they have Vibram Soles ....

with these Cannondale Grind pedals I have in a box somewhere in the garage

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41K2VTYG27L._SX300_.jpg

lol...I'm a climber as well...So would rather not get into the rubber argument :P

I'll just say it is FAR more about your ability than your equipment!  :clap: