Long distance touring bike

_freak_

Another hijack, sorry.

Where are you guys touring? I would love to take a trip but I have a few safety/security concerns. I'm currently building a bike for a(n?) European trip for 2015/16.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another hijack, sorry.

Where are you guys touring? I would love to take a trip but I have a few safety/security concerns. I'm currently building a bike for a(n?) European trip for 2015/16.

Can't afford tripping in Europe although it would be my first choice.

Just returned from a short trip of the Midlands to test the bike.

Planning on Route 62, Die Hell and there about and also at a later stage, West Coast in flower season and the Richtersveld when I can get back up.

I have spent the last year or so building a touring bike. I tried all sorts of tyre and gearing combinations, and eventually ended up with this.

post-25293-0-90147800-1416241577_thumb.jpg

I tried 2.25 crossmarks, and roadslicks, but these Schwalbe Mondial Marathon 700 x 35c's did the best job by far. Fast on tar and decent enough on gravel, they seem to be bullet proof as far as punctures are concerned.

I used a steel framed On One inbred 29er with a 2x10 drive train (39/26 on the front and 11/36 on the back)

The frame is strong and durable and has rack mounts.

Guest DieBees

touring SA

This sounds lekker! Let me know more? I would love to tour through our country. I have heard that it is not too expensive to tour europe.

I rode 17000km around the USA and Europe on a Specialized road touring bike with full pannier set(about 30kg). The frames are specifically reinforced for the additional load and shock. The 700c touring rims, with Specialized 32mm tourer tyres were found wanting after about 9000km and I spent a lot of time replacing spokes. I would seriously look at a 650b wheelset for reliability.

My biggest cause for concern was braking. The northern hemisphere has some downhills that should have an age restriction. In the US I burned a complete set of V-brake blocks on one 25mile descent. In the Dales of north England V-brakes could not slow me on some of the narrow roads and I had some very enlightening times. Much of the downhill sections of the TdF passes I rode are a mere blur but the lingering terror lives on. If you are doing full-on touring, fit 180mm rotors at least. Stopping a loaded tourer is like stopping a truck - it takes a long time.

The Giant Escape hybrid you have pictured is only suitable for lighter touring (option of heavy aluminium or Giant Aluxx SL tubing -I currently ride one for recreation) and it only has mountings for a rear pannier set which is fine for a week of paved road riding but not for a major getaway involving rougher roads.

Unless your touring is to be off road, why worry about a heavy fork. A nice set of Kenda or Specialized 35mm touring tyres will give you plenty of shock absorption. 

Plan on simplicity. Things will break - usually somewhere between Moscow and Shanghai and never near Paris.

Guest DieBees

I rode 17000km around the USA and Europe on a Specialized road touring bike with full pannier set(about 30kg). The frames are specifically reinforced for the additional load and shock. The 700c touring rims, with Specialized 32mm tourer tyres were found wanting after about 9000km and I spent a lot of time replacing spokes. I would seriously look at a 650b wheelset for reliability.

My biggest cause for concern was braking. The northern hemisphere has some downhills that should have an age restriction. In the US I burned a complete set of V-brake blocks on one 25mile descent. In the Dales of north England V-brakes could not slow me on some of the narrow roads and I had some very enlightening times. Much of the downhill sections of the TdF passes I rode are a mere blur but the lingering terror lives on. If you are doing full-on touring, fit 180mm rotors at least. Stopping a loaded tourer is like stopping a truck - it takes a long time.

The Giant Escape hybrid you have pictured is only suitable for lighter touring (option of heavy aluminium or Giant Aluxx SL tubing -I currently ride one for recreation) and it only has mountings for a rear pannier set which is fine for a week of paved road riding but not for a major getaway involving rougher roads.

Unless your touring is to be off road, why worry about a heavy fork. A nice set of Kenda or Specialized 35mm touring tyres will give you plenty of shock absorption.

Plan on simplicity. Things will break - usually somewhere between Moscow and Shanghai and never near Paris.

This is vaulable insight. Thanks. This is officially on my bucket list.

I rode 17000km around the USA and Europe on a Specialized road touring bike with full pannier set(about 30kg). The frames are specifically reinforced for the additional load and shock. The 700c touring rims, with Specialized 32mm tourer tyres were found wanting after about 9000km and I spent a lot of time replacing spokes. I would seriously look at a 650b wheelset for reliability.

Great informative post. I would love to hear more of your trip. Any chance you could share a pack list too? Pictures of your trip and bike setup would also be appreciated.

This is vaulable insight. Thanks. This is officially on my bucket list.

indeed

when we toured we would stay at camp sites, guest houses or even a police station.

we planning a short 4 day trip hopefully in december through mpumalanga

Guest DieBees

indeed

when we toured we would stay at camp sites, guest houses or even a police station.

we planning a short 4 day trip hopefully in december through mpumalanga

Damn. Im in the western cape! If you ever considder touring the western cape, more up the west coast let me know. We can use my place as the starting/ending point.

All in good time!

My friend an I have done most of Limpop and decided to cross each province untill we done. He has plans to do Namib as well

Can't afford tripping in Europe although it would be my first choice.Just returned from a short trip of the Midlands to test the bike.Planning on Route 62, Die Hell and there about and also at a later stage, West Coast in flower season and the Richtersveld when I can get back up.

Some good information here, thank you. Do tell more about your midlands test.

To OP. Please let me know if these questions are off topic and need to asked elsewhere.

Do you guys sleep in the side of the road when touring in SA?

I have often but not on "the side of the road" but hidden from the road. Drain pipes and culverts work too. Many people have allowed me to camp on their lawn, restaurants/pubs do not mind either. (People are usually very good in this way) Never have had problems except at Midmar camp site at R280 a pop! Darn scoundrel lurking about........ Edited by Sepia

I can't top ChrisBike's palmares, but I've done some touring.  Around 1300km in Alaska and 500 km in the Eastern Cape.  I completely fell in love with a Bob trailer as opposed to panniers.  Used a 26" dual sus MTB with knobblies.  That does allow one to ride some trails on the days that you don't need to get anywhere...

In Alaska i winged it and slept wherever.  Some nights in a remote river bed amongst the bears, but most of the time in a backpackers or campsite.  In SA we rode from PE to Knysna through the Baviaanskloof.  Slept in B&B type places and guest farms, so wasn't as much luggage to haul along.

I agree 100%. Keep it simple and comfortable I say.

I use an earlier model Trek Fuel and have fitted a rear disc. Use the lugs for my panniers. Standard 9sp SLX drive train with 12-36 cassette and a 48T big blade. Have never needed more gears. Agree on the 180 rotors and maybe I will convert at a later stage. The suspension does become worth it on gravel roads after a day in the saddle. I would not use a HT myself but then again, it is not miles I am chasing.

Edited by Sepia