Long distance touring bike

_freak_

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Salsa Deadwood, but they don't have an agent in SA

There is a agent in sa. Il look for the details and pm you if you want but everything you want is special order.

Was grant usher but now its a guy called magnus if i remember correctly

Edited by vinylguy

There is a guy that has cycled over 35,000 km through 4 continents (Australia, Europe, Asia, North America)

He has a facebook page, contact him, I am sure he will be able to give you all the info you need about long distance bikes.

His page name is "Around 7 Continents", pop him a message he will be able to help!

Regards

I have been following Joubert De Bruin since beginning last year.... I’m so jealous of all the things he has seen and experienced!

The question is ased again, HOW DO YOU GOME BACK HOME TO A NORMAL LIFE AFTER THIS?

He has a website as well

http://www.around7continents.com/

post-12987-0-34922900-1449551167_thumb.jpg

magnus@cyctecdistribution.com

Thanks for the details, think I will however go with the surly, but want to see if I can organise some anything cages with bags through them

I have been following Joubert De Bruin since beginning last year.... I’m so jealous of all the things he has seen and experienced!

The question is ased again, HOW DO YOU GOME BACK HOME TO A NORMAL LIFE AFTER THIS?

He has a website as well

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

the oke has steel flasks for water bottles .... eish

bit of a stuff up if you cycle through Siberia in the winter months and all your food and drink gets frozen solid... this guy had some hard times... but he is still paddeling! 

bit of a stuff up if you cycle through Siberia in the winter months and all your food and drink gets frozen solid... this guy had some hard times... but he is still paddeling! 

Antarctica comming soon, to a blog near you...  :thumbup:

De Bruyn is his name, Joubert his surname. We are friends from school, he is one crazy dude, the stuff he has seen is amazing, he estimates his trip will be 85,000km in total. I am sure he will be able to give advice to any long distance biker in this forum.

De Bruyn is his name, Joubert his surname. We are friends from school, he is one crazy dude, the stuff he has seen is amazing, he estimates his trip will be 85,000km in total. I am sure he will be able to give advice to any long distance biker in this forum.

im sure 

Also, I bought a small Revelate frame bag from cycle touring at lunchtime today. I got an email from the courier company before 3 to tell me that they have collected it. Excellent service.

I bought a frame bag and some bits and pieces bag  from cycletouring.co.za yesterday at lunchtime.

It was delivered by courier at 10:30 this morning. 21 hrs to my desk, cant ask for much more than that !!

Edited by eddy

He has a website as well

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

We've had to get back into normal 3 times after trips of 2 years, 12 and 3 months. It is really hard, especially having 'normal' conversations with people. It changes you and most people don't get it because they haven't had the chance to experience it. To keep us going, we move to different countries and keep life excited. At the moment living in Amsterdam...

I am thinking that a 3 day self supported ride from Willowmore to Calitzdorp via Klaarstroom, Meiringspoort, De Rust, over the Swartberg pass to Prince Albert and then back over the hill from the other direction to Calitzdorp in December.

Taking the dirt road to the north of the mountains between Willowmore and Klaarstroom, and the mountain road from De Rust past the caves. I am considering overnighting in Klaarstroom and PA.

This will be my first "expedition" and will ride alone.

It is finally here.

I start in Willowmore at 4:30 on Thursday morning, and will basically do the trip as described above. I will however stay in de Rust as I'd prefer to go through Meiringspoort in the daytime.

Next day up and over the Swartberg, sleeping in PA and back over the pass to Calitzdorp via Kruisrivier and Groenfontein.

Day four will be an out and back to van Wyksdorp over Rooiberg in both directions.

Bags are packed, weather looks good and after a long chat with Grant Usher about his Munga this morning, I am toooo much excited.