[Event] Eselfontein MTB Festival

Ceres

Event Name: Eselfontein MTB Festival
When: 22 November 2014
Where: Ceres Eselfontein Farm, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Hi guys time for the Eselfontein mtb race, looks like we are going to have perfect weather for the weekend remember camping is free.

Go to Event Page

Ek sit nou net en krap in my garmin files om te sien hoe hard ek gaan af k@k dienaweek!

Het julle die route verander sedert die 2012 veranderinge? Ek wil weet hoe ek myself moet pace! Ek is baie lief vir Esels maar Ek het n heiligge Vrees vir daai Klim na die silver pyp toe!

kan ons op die dag inskryf?

Hi guys you can enter on the day. Did the 65 km on Sunday on a motor bike with the garmin. Sorry it won't let me attach the gpx file but it's 62.68km with a 1400m of climbing.

Hi Ceres

Please could you confirm at what distance marks the water points will be?

Looking forward to it. Hopefully not as hot as last year!

Should be an excellent day's riding. @Ceres - will you guys hang around until kick-off for a back marker like me? Looking at that distance and climbing, I'll be glad with a 06:30. Haven't done the long route but only heard rave reviews each year. 

Ek sit nou net en krap in my garmin files om te sien hoe hard ek gaan af k@k dienaweek!

Het julle die route verander sedert die 2012 veranderinge? Ek wil weet hoe ek myself moet pace! Ek is baie lief vir Esels maar Ek het n heiligge Vrees vir daai Klim na die silver pyp toe!

kan ons op die dag inskryf?

Ons het net n paar klein veranderings gemaak. Die laaste 800m na die silwer pyp toe is daar n nuwe stuk single track wat daardie vervelige reguit klim n bietjie beter maak, maar na die pyplyn bly alles nog net so. Geniet dit. Dit bly n goeie toets vir die bene.

Water points at 8km,18km, 24km (just for the 65km),29km, 38km, 49km, 54km.

Remember this will be a bit different distances for the 35km ride as they don't do the death drop loop.

How Did you guys find the race? I really enjoyed the technical stuff and loved overtaking some "racing snakes" a little later as they burnt to many matches early on. However I had bike troubles from the gun and spent more time trying to find a shady spot next to the trail trying to fix my bike than I ended up riding so I rode back to the start after we passed the farmhouse at around 27km.

Deon, Thanks for putting on this race every year, Its always the highlight of my Mtb year. I have done this race 8 times over the last 13 years and always make a weekend of it inviting many friends who have now come to respect and love the race. BUT: How about starting earlier?

I know Its been raised many times but I will not partake next year with a 8:30 start. In October It was late but saturday was not pleasent no matter how good the trails. My Brother In Law who finished the 65 came in at 12:45 and when I saw him I got a fright! Black rings around his eyes, looked like a skeleton. . By the time I left at 1:45, the last guys were not In yet.. that would have been me.

Im sure not that many people will stay away if you started at 7? But the Ave Joe like me can then finish by 11. ?

Anyway, I dont want to sound like Im sour grapes. I still love Eselfontein still great waterpoints and great finish area.

Regards

Stefan/Bos

How Did you guys find the race? I really enjoyed the technical stuff and loved overtaking some "racing snakes" a little later as they burnt to many matches early on. However I had bike troubles from the gun and spent more time trying to find a shady spot next to the trail trying to fix my bike than I ended up riding so I rode back to the start after we passed the farmhouse at around 27km.

Deon, Thanks for putting on this race every year, Its always the highlight of my Mtb year. I have done this race 8 times over the last 13 years and always make a weekend of it inviting many friends who have now come to respect and love the race. BUT: How about starting earlier?

I know Its been raised many times but I will not partake next year with a 8:30 start. In October It was late but saturday was not pleasent no matter how good the trails. My Brother In Law who finished the 65 came in at 12:45 and when I saw him I got a fright! Black rings around his eyes, looked like a skeleton. . By the time I left at 1:45, the last guys were not In yet.. that would have been me.

Im sure not that many people will stay away if you started at 7? But the Ave Joe like me can then finish by 11. ?

Anyway, I dont want to sound like Im sour grapes. I still love Eselfontein still great waterpoints and great finish area.

Regards

Stefan/Bos

Can't agree with you more... The best race of the year, but also not gonne do it again with a 8:30 start... The road races this time of year start at 6:00-6:30, can't see why this race can't start at 7:30. Doing it the same weekend as the DC is also not a good idea, I know a lot of guys that would have done it wasn't it for the DC.

Hi guys thanks for the suggestions you just can't seem to keep everyone happy as a few years back we had a lot of moans that guys could not make it all the way from Cape Town with a 7:30 or 8:00 start time, but I think you guys are right we need to start early..... just need to get everyone here the night before for the night race. :whistling:

I will be making the suggestion that we start at 7:30 next year. 

What a brilliant race! Really enjoyed it. I agree with an earlier start. Where will the results be up? I had to get back to CT before prize giving but a friend said I can third in the 36km...would like to check.

Edited by Singletrack Sarah