ANOTHER timing system

nigelhicks

Hey guys and girls

Just a quick question - I am looking at a timing system used by the EWS and many other international Enduro Events ...

So am just bouncing ideas around ...

The system itself is not too expensive - but the actual chip cards are quite pricey as they are active cards rather than passive cards like are used here in SA....

99% of timing systems in SA use PASSIVE chips - and for point to point racing such as Enduro this is an issue as you then need power to the main transponders at each stage and then good cell signal etc so that the system can relay back to the hub computer - BUT this doesnt work in spots with no signal ...

The system i am looking at uses an ACTIVE chip (thats why it costs so much) and a timestamp is put onto your chip as you start and you the rider take your time with you on the chip to the finish where you plug the chip in at the end of the event and the computer records all your times off your chip and prints you out a slip with your times.

so we would need to either loan these out per event or sell them so riders have them as their own.

They are the size of a USB stick  ....

I would prefer the topic to stay on the price of the unit rather than saunter off onto which companies system is better etc. 

So -- The discussion ....(Remembering that a passive chip from someone like ROAG is about R50 or R100 bucks i think)

What would you expect to pay for an active chip??

What would you expect to pay to RENT a chip for a day??

Thanks

Nige

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you expect to pay for an active chip?? R100 - R150 

What would you expect to pay to RENT a chip for a day?? R20 (I'd also add a hefty deposit, to cover the cost of the chip when/if it is not returned)

Just for clarity, do you have to physically plug in the chip to start and finish? 

There are 2 system options.

1. You tag in and out yourself by swiping your chip against the reader

2. A start marshal starts you off swiping your chip with the reader. Then the finish is a beam that registers the chip remotely

Hey Nigel, I got another look at the timing system that they use for most of the enduro racing here. Its this one - http://www.sportident.com. The costs of that are built into our entries - you are issued with the tag at registration, and you must return it at the end to get a result. 

Contact Byron at www.fourfortymtbpark.co.nz to find out how the system rental works, costs etc. He used them at the enduro we had last weekend.

Edited by niterider

Hey Niterider

Thanks - It is the sportident system i am looking at.

I spoke to Chris Ball from EWS yesterday and he said that they do use it - but its not the best for EWS as it cant give live timing ... but for smaller events etc its perfect and reliable ...

What setup do they use out there in NZ? do you have to clock in yourselves (the small handheld receivers) or do they use the beams (the big black square receivers)

Hey Niterider

Thanks - It is the sportident system i am looking at.

I spoke to Chris Ball from EWS yesterday and he said that they do use it - but its not the best for EWS as it cant give live timing ... but for smaller events etc its perfect and reliable ...

What setup do they use out there in NZ? do you have to clock in yourselves (the small handheld receivers) or do they use the beams (the big black square receivers)

At the start of the event we clock ourselves, then again at start and end of stages, and then one last time at the finish. They then print out a little slip which shows your stage times and position at the time of the printout. So no beams here (not for the Enduro races, anyway).

ok cool

So you use these then

http://www.sportident.com/cache/1/714a249557e3a37be3b4a63b396307d8.png 

I am looking at these to start for Enduro with the beam system at the finish using 2 of these

http://www.sportident.com/cache/a/fa7229736d89dcb8d85464a397eed0d3.png

Only issue is that the chips for the AIR+ system are pretty expensive.

So thats why ima asking what okes would be willing to pay for one of these

http://www.sportident.com/cache/c/2c9e62463ce93e499608f97dd85c16e0.jpg

Ok cool 

So you have the cheaper system ....

Yeah the chips you use do not have the AIR+ functionality and have to be plugged in to register ..

Ok well if okes are using that system internationally it may be a cheap option from a Regional standpoint ...

Just a thought.

You have every 3rd guy now on the bike with some sort of timing device, i.e. Polar, Garmin, Suuto, Cateye etc. etc. etc.

In my opinion....what people are after are not their TIMES but rather an "added long term service" from the companies.

Racetec and CChip have had the advantage of long term in the game together with the SAS boys that does the MTB thing.
So for me to see my time is easy....I look down on my watch.

But if you co. offer a long term seeding database, then I would be phased to buy myself a chip in order to build up a long term seeding in order to get the advantage I am really after....better starting time for the next race.

Will I want to buy or rent your chip if you only do ONE race every year in Gat-sonder-end?  No.

My 2 c

Just a thought.

You have every 3rd guy now on the bike with some sort of timing device, i.e. Polar, Garmin, Suuto, Cateye etc. etc. etc.

In my opinion....what people are after are not their TIMES but rather an "added long term service" from the companies.

Racetec and CChip have had the advantage of long term in the game together with the SAS boys that does the MTB thing.

So for me to see my time is easy....I look down on my watch.

But if you co. offer a long term seeding database, then I would be phased to buy myself a chip in order to build up a long term seeding in order to get the advantage I am really after....better starting time for the next race.

Will I want to buy or rent your chip if you only do ONE race every year in Gat-sonder-end?  No.

My 2 c

Thanks dude - but thats sort of different from my objectives here - ROAG already do our race seedings etc for our races here and have that set up ...

The timing systems i am looking at here are specific to the Enduro and Downhill Disciplines in MTB where long term seeding databases are not necessary as we do not have batched starts etc as you do in marathon races.

The chips would be for our provincial events in KZN (and one or 2 others maybe) ... So not a timing system that would be used by the masses at "privately organised" events, but rather at events run as Provincial Series Enduro and DH events.

I would pay up to R300 to buy a timing chip and R30 to rent it.

Just for clarity, with the active chip, you can have a "ride past" type of check in, were the chip is connected to your bike and you just ride past the start line and finish line, and it does all the reading and scanning on its own.

magnetic south have used the sportident system for a while now - the one where you have the dibber on your finger and need to plug it into a controller station - AFAIK it's a 2 way system, but still a passive device.

the orienteering guys in cape town use EMIT.

amarider with their trailtag showed you do not need to rip people off for passive devices..the markups racetec put on are probably the highest in the cycling industry.

I would pay up to R300 to buy a timing chip and R30 to rent it.

If all (or vast majority) the local Enduro races were to use this same system, then yes I'd be willing to buy own chip, for up to R300. But if not then I'd look at renting for R20-30 for each event