Scam on Gumtree

sluiper

What's the procedure when you uncover/see someone trying to pull a scam on Gumtree? 

I haven't fallen victim, but it's pretty obvious what's the guy/girl is trying to pull. We're also talking about a significant amount of money for a top-end bike. My concern is that someone less knowledgeable about bikes could fall for this.

I don't really want to give details/links here because I'm pretty sure the scammers keep an eye on TheHub, but if you're really interested (or know who to contact in a case like this) send me a PM.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing really but report the ad to gumtree.

OK, so the ad gets deleted, the guy learns a lesson in how not to try to scam people and tries again tomorrow?

OK, so the ad gets deleted, the guy learns a lesson in how not to try to scam people and tries again tomorrow?

Unfortunately, yes. There will always be these scams, especially on free advertising platforms. Exactly why it's safer to trade on a forum like this one were people get to know the buyers and the sellers.

I have bought stuff on gumtree before without hassles, but will ALWAYS go look at the product myself, and ONLY deal in cash. This should be standard practice for any person. People doing an EFT as a deposit without meeting the person first, might as well throw their money in the fire.

Correct

Unfortunately, yes. There will always be these scams, especially on free advertising platforms. Exactly why it's safer to trade on a forum like this one were people get to know the buyers and the sellers.

I have bought stuff on gumtree before without hassles, but will ALWAYS go look at the product myself, and ONLY deal in cash. This should be standard practice for any person. People doing an EFT as a deposit without meeting the person first, might as well throw their money in the fire.

You must just remeber Rouxtjies 1000 post thing.............. :whistling:

Post the link before you report so we can see what you found!

Let's just say that if you were to the sports, bicycle and fitness section and sorted by price (High to Low), you'd probably spot it quite easily.

if you're talking about the spez then it's been there for a while and there was a chat about it sometime ago. One of the hubbers contacted her and she says the price is legit and she really has it. Not sure what came of it since

oh, it's a girl apparently... been taking the mickey out of her for a while... she eventually gave up....

OK, I could be wrong.

Weird that the same ad is up on OLX (http://capetown.olx.co.za/s-works-tarmac-sl4-di2-zipp-r-75-000-iid-746185666) with some very different info and a more realistic price.

Also, the email address "she" uses when replying has been reported for being used in other scams.

"She" also came back to me and said she added a 0 too many (but then doesn't fix the ad?).

Doesn't really add up for me.

Depends. On a legit ad if you had to add a zero to the listed price, your ad is more likely to be seen as it is listed at the top. But then state the correct price in the description.

But in this case the corrected value speaks for itself.

Edited by Helpmytrap