Zini. What happened.

SAGecko

I recall that in the 70's, these were very popular bikes in this brown and pleasant land.

I rode one. Well, I rode my dad's one, a beautiful silver example of the type. I can remember nothing other than the way the bike was incredibly well crafted.

They seemed to disappear from the SA scene in the Eighties.

What happened?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember my buddy dad had one...cool bike. Alan road and track bikes were the in thing then and of course a few Zini's. But after that it seemed most of the guys started racing Peugeot.

Zini was my first "proper" road bike. They were produced for Deale & Huth when it was owned by Basil Cohen. There is a thread on one of the forums with much of the history of Deale & Huth and Basil Cohen - He unfortunately passed away. He was also involved in the Alpina brand. Remember those?

Zini was my first "proper" road bike. They were produced for Deale & Huth when it was owned by Basil Cohen. There is a thread on one of the forums with much of the history of Deale & Huth and Basil Cohen - He unfortunately passed away. He was also involved in the Alpina brand. Remember those?

come out of the same facory as Hansom stopped production think more or less late 90"s

come out of the same facory as Hansom stopped production think more or less late 90"s

I think you are correct. Believe it or not I have a Hansom tandem that dates back to the 1980's!

Still using my old Vitus to commute to work and back. Going to use it for the Argus next year.

Awesome bike! I had a black one from 1988 or so. It was branded Peugeot though... It was part of an involuntary re-distribution of my goods unfortunately!

The original Zini bikes were made in Italy, if the 1 you have is from the '70's then maybe its an "original" Italian one.

Gotty Hanson got the rights to manufacture them in SA under the name Zini. He also produced Peugeot bikes is memory serves me.

In the late '80's early '90's the whole local bike industry took a dive and all the guys were forced to shut shop. Very sad as its an era I grew up racing in. 

Edited by quintonb

if the 1 you have is from the '70's.......

The one I had unfortunately.

My dad gave it to our gardener  :(

Zini my first proper racing bike. Bought brand new from then Chris Willemse Cyles at the bottom of Long Street.

had to settles for a purple Zini, Reynolds 501 tubing, with 7 speed Shimano 105 group set with the latest index shifting. At the time the Peugeot Rapport was just a little too expensive.

• 5 years later...

Hi,my name is Finn, I live in Germany and I'm looking for a zini mk2,

my dad had one in the early 90's, he was a very ambitious cyclist and loved his bike,

but he had an accident and passed.

Now I want to try to get one to Germany.

If anyone knows of anyone that wants to sell his zini, please contact me.

Thank you very much for your help

Zini frames were made by Gotti Hanson. Best shop to try is Woodstock Cycle Works.

Contact details available on Google.

Best of luck in finding one. They were pretty popular so one will turn up for sale in the appropriate size