Emphatic wins for Janse van Rensburg and Moolman Pasio at Unite4Mandela

News bot

The unprecedented R250 000 first place, the biggest in the history of South African cycling, was won by Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg (Giant Shimano) and Ashleigh Moolman Pasio (Momentum) at the Unite4Mandela cycling event this morning. The event took place in the heart of the city in remembrance of Nelson Mandela and included some of the most spectacular landmarks Pretoria has to offer.

Click here to view the article

Great to see two of SA's biggest talents take the prize! As great as it is to have a host of International riders in the race, it a South African who needed to win!

Awesome prize hey

A lekka holiday and some carbon money with ample change to spare

Will this be an annual event?

I rode myself so recorded the race. It was one of the most exciting local races I've ever seen. I feel for Lil as he missed that second last turn after attacking the leading group. He still lead after taking a detour back on course, but that detour cost him. He could've gone all the way had it not been for missing that turn. Don't know whether it was his fault or the marshalls... 

I decided to put the road bike away after last weekend's 94 and took the mtb to the streets. Really enjoyed racing the roadies on my mtb. ;-) Really enjoyed the course. Hilly but with short, steep climbs rather than long drags.

The only reason I rode was because I got a free entry late in last week. Very glad I rode in the end. Will definitely do this one again.

But what is interesting is that the road running race prize purse was half of the cycling prize money (ZAR125k).

I am surprised no-one has made a song and dance about this yet....

Really glad Ashleigh managed to get the win over Marianne Vos.

IMHO that was a gift... Be it as it may, good win.

Hasn't she beaten Vos in Europe before too though?

Not sure. Not at any of the notable races though.

Please remind me who took the pics at the race,

Thanks

AFAIK, it was www.jetlineactionphoto.com. We didn't have number stickers to identify us though.