Difference between Ikon EXO and Crossmark LUST?

Squier

Another tyre thread...

So, I'm considering switching from Maxxis Crossmarks to Ikons. The main reason being weight.

I've loved how bulletproof the Crossmarks have been and I'm worried that the Ikons might not be.

This brings me to my question; what is the difference between LUST and EXO? Will I be compromising too much in terms of durability? I've seen that the Ikons have triple compound and EXO but no LUST.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another tyre thread...

So, I'm considering switching from Maxxis Crossmarks to Ikons. The main reason being weight.

I've loved how bulletproof the Crossmarks have been and I'm worried that the Ikons might not be.

This brings me to my question; what is the difference between LUST and EXO? Will I be compromising too much in terms of durability? I've seen that the Ikons have triple compound and EXO but no LUST.

I've been using Ikon EXO front and back for a year (1700km), with minimal wear.

Lots of cycling in Giba, over rocks, etc with no issues.

I've been using Ikon EXO front and back for a year (1700km), with minimal wear.

Lots of cycling in Giba, over rocks, etc with no issues.

Thanks Nick. Appreciate the reply.

8000km on Ikons, never had a problem. You are going to get lost more grip and you will never go back to Crossmarks.

Just make sure that you don't get the Tubeless ready version. Never tried it but the sidewall is thinner and its lighter.

Edited by Wil6

I love my ikons but I found I was losing the front end a bit too much in cornering (I'm also a heavy bloke) so now I have an ardent upfront and I am a very happy camper. :thumbup:

Ive had the ikons. Probably fastest tyres ive had but I did not like the lack of grip. Especially upfront. Ive find that I have the start braking earlier.

I think its a great tyre for the back when its dry but you need more skills. Its skinny and slide out easy on hard brake.

Ive switched to Ardent race upfront...awesome grip.

And Racing Ralph on the back.

The Ikons are much lighter but the crossmarks are much tougher. Choose your poison

I am running ikons front and back but make peace with a plug puncture every now and again.

Use to ride Crossmarks,pretty much bullet proof,the last year on IKONS (2x Bikes) and no problem,got the tubeless ready version and very happy.

As Rouxtjie said pretty much a personal decision you win some ,you loose some!

Another tyre thread...

TR = Tubeless Ready

EXO = Extra protection in sidewalls, think Snakeskin

LUST = full on UST/tjoobless

Ikon does not come in LUST anymore so get the EXO!

Ikon EXOs for 4000km. Great fast and light tyre and quite durable as well. Had hard sidewall scratches but no cuts so EXO seems to be quite tough. But the grip on loose over hard surfaces is not great. That cost me a lot of skin because the washout comes without warning. Will try something new now, thinking of Spez Ground Control in front and Fastrack in the back.

The Ikons are much lighter but the crossmarks are much tougher. Choose your poison

I am running ikons front and back but make peace with a plug puncture every now and again.

Same my side... find the tyres grip well and are durable... have had to put in a couple plugs but those have held for months now

I've just bought a IKON for my rear wheel. I've been running Racing Ralph Snakeskin until now but every time I replace a tyre I feel like I'm dipping into my future children's college fund:) hoping I have good things to say about it. Would be a bonus to start running them cause the price is definitely a winner.

• 4 years later...

Thread revival.

I need 2 new tubeless tyres for my commuter. I currently have crossmark II and have ZERO issues with them for commuting. The most off road the bike see's is a dirt pavement but I mostly ride on the road or in the dirt on the side of the road(read glass and nails etc). My LBS said the crossmarks are being phased out in favour of the ikon and that stock of the last few crossmarks is limited anyway. They don't have any on the shelf and say will struggle to get. Is the ikon a decent replacement? remember I am going to be mostly riding on tar.

What I want: Tubeless, durability on tar, puncture resistant, 2.2 wide.

What doesn't phased me: how much grip I have on dirt.

I have always run my crossmarks at 2bar.

I am not a heavy rider even with my bag and extra commuting stuff on my bike.

I am prepared to try other brands(provided my LBS stock them or can get) but I have used a conti tyre before that didn't last long at all. I can't remember when one it was. I have just always used the crossmark so know the reliability of that tyre from maxxis.

The Ikon is a faster tyre...less rolling resistance, ideal as a rear tyre (XC) but can be used front and back if front tyre grip (for trails) is not paramount. I've been using one as a rear tyre and haven't had any problems.