Early Morning Rides - How To

Gandalf

I commute at 5AM and used to train at 5AM with a group before I started commuting earlier (new job etc).

Here are a few things that help getting up early:

- Riding with a group was very easy for me, knowing that you need to meet up with people motivates you to get up and go.

- Prepare all your cycling goodies/pack your bag/lunch the night before

- Prepare mentally

- Get enough rest.

Those are about the only things that really help me. To be honest, I find it very easy to turn over and continue sleeping, but I want to get out of that bad habit (happening more often recently) and get back into my routine of waking up early. For some its easier than others. 

I know there are guys that are out at 4AM and I might need to be doing that soon :wacko:  :unsure: .

So, what helps you get up and go ride early morning for training or commuting?

For me, what helps the most at getting up at 04h00 (or 04h30 when I'm lazy) is going to bed early and mentally committing to the next morning's ride.

I only do morning rides 3 times between Monday and Friday, so I generally don't go to bed later than 21h00. 

* I have a set schedule with days that I must train.

* I put everything out and pack my stuff the night before.

* In bed by 20:30.

* Meet with a group of guys.
* Have a goal, improving time, losing weight, getting fit - whatever it is, set it and know it.

* Have fun out there.

Cup o coffee after standing up then get dressed and out the door. I have to stand up immediately after i hear the alarm. If i delay only a few second the difficulty increases gradually. I also agree with getting everything ready the previous night and in sight so you don't have to wonder if you remember everything.

Jip, same as above. For me the most important is to get to bed early but its difficult when training for triathlons. Most days (6 days a week) I do 2 sessions a day. In the evenings I go to the gym at 8 so when I get home its already 9ish. To get up at 4am is really difficult but it has to be done.

Edited by Grondpad

After 94.7 I have not been able to get up in the morning..

I need a hot blonde to wake me up gently with a cup of coffee and a leg massage, or something like that

I inevitably get a weather check text 10 minutes before my alarm goes off (0410) from a riding partner...

after that the only thing that helps is to put my feet on the floor BEFORE thinking about sleeping in......

Which sometimes is tricky to do after late night at work - bed at 2am and ride at 0430 are not the best combination ever, but inevitably I feel better after the ride than if I skipped it.

After 94.7 I have not been able to get up in the morning..

I need a hot blonde to wake me up gently with a cup of coffee and a leg massage, or something like that

Didnt realise my boyfriend was on the Hub ;) 

Get a routine going and stick to it. Battery charged, tyre pressures checked and all my kit is layed out the night before. Get up as soon as the alarm goes at 4 before I can think of hitting the snooze button. I also gym after work and if I'm not in bed before 9:30 I feel it the next couple of mornings.

I struggle with 2 parts. Getting to bed before 11. Can't seem to switch off the day before then. This means you can't do regular early morning wake ups and still feel fresh as the short sleep starts to compound. Second, when I wake up and roll over my hand seems to auto find the missus's rump and then any thoughts of training evaporate faster than chocolate at Easter time....

inevitably I feel better after the ride than if I skipped it.

Now ain't that the truth !

Once in the routine of early morning rides I cannot believe that I ever NOT do it.

It just needs a week or two of routine (unfortunately not easy at the moment) for it to become a habit and then it is as hard to resist as the glass of wine with dinner.