Off road route form Gauteng(Randburg) to Pilanesberg(Sun City)

wazz_12

Hey Everyone

Has anyone done a Mtb ride from Gauteng(Randburg) to Pilanesberg(Sun City),

Is it at all possible doing it without tar road?

It should be possible, through Magaliesburg then follow the railway tracks all the way there. My brother and a few friends used to ride from Rustenburg to Sun City with offroad bikes. But it has become too dangerous due to attacks and traps set (wires across the road, a few snares etc).

Unless there is an established route, a big hurdle will be to gain access to private property along the way. 

Deffos possible

Day 1...something like randburg to van gaalens(and a loop or two around there) via lanseria mtb trails. Have done this alot, awesome route.

Day 2 something like van gaalens to sun city...the first part over the magalies via breedts is easy, from there, I don't know, but can't see why not

Planning 3-4 days there and back. looking for some proper time in the saddle

2 options

Breedts which will then have probably go through the Rustenburg.(don't know too much about)

or

Hakahana, Brits and Vaalkop dam.(strava has quite a few segments through these area)

??

It should be possible, through Magaliesburg then follow the railway tracks all the way there. My brother and a few friends used to ride from Rustenburg to Sun City with offroad bikes. But it has become too dangerous due to attacks and traps set (wires across the road, a few snares etc).

would like to avoid rural area's don't need anything to happen whilst out that side. 

Welcome to thehub, nice way to start off. You might want to change your avatar though, "Uni" has had that avatar forever. At first i though "Uni" changes names then i saw the "Posts" count was a lot lower. :offtopic:

I noticed this weekend that a friendly inhabitant of the area has now dug a pretty deep gulley across the railway service road that runs out past from Magalies past Swallows Inn towards Vlakdrift. Be careful of this as well as the fencing that has now been put in place along the same service route (this goes up and down quite often!), I assume this is because of the quadders and dirt bikers that vip around here on weekends.

I noticed this weekend that a friendly inhabitant of the area has now dug a pretty deep gulley across the railway service road that runs out past from Magalies past Swallows Inn towards Vlakdrift. Be careful of this as well as the fencing that has now been put in place along the same service route (this goes up and down quite often!), I assume this is because of the quadders and dirt bikers that vip around here on weekends.

Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Deffos possible

Day 1...something like randburg to van gaalens(and a loop or two around there) via lanseria mtb trails. Have done this alot, awesome route.

Day 2 something like van gaalens to sun city...the first part over the magalies via breedts is easy, from there, I don't know, but can't see why not

Hi Roux, 

Do you have the Actual Route fro Randburg to Van Gaalens ( Haartees) I am really keen to do this but don't know the trails.

Thanks

Adam