Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

dont want to be pedantic, but is there any difference between a gravel grinder bike and a CX bike?

Good question.

With my limited knowledge and I would like to know more. I will attempt to reply to this in the way I understand it??????

GGrinder has a longer chainstay

Slacker fork angle

Lower BB

Ability to fit wider tires

Will wait for the experts to correct me on this.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont want to be pedantic, but is there any difference between a gravel grinder bike and a CX bike?

Of course.

CX bikes were hot in 2014 and marketing departments have decreed that Gravel Grinders are hot in 2016.

Other than that, I think they had the product guys add another bottle cage and space for a slightly larger tyre. And of course another $200 to the price tag.

CX bikes have a shorter wheelbase and more "sporty" handling for tighter turns as experienced on cx courses. Gravel bikes have longer wheelbase and more relaxed fork angle for slower, but more stable steering responses. They also tend to have eyelets for fenders etc, though some cx bikes are now also coming out with them. Gravel bikes tend to have a shorter top tube and longer head tube for more upright set-up for more comfort allowing longer riding times. Gravel bikes also have bigger tyre clearances as cx rules allow max 33mm tyre size though many newer frames can be fitted with bigger tyres. What can be confusing is that some frames can be used for both.....but there will be a compromise at the extremes

NB I am not an expert but things I have picked up from reading up on different frames and reviews etc

Edited by LOOK695

NB I am not an expert but things I have picked up from reading up on different frames and reviews etc

Your modesty is unplaced. You got it spot on.

I have been riding CX bikes as primary buke since 2011 and except for one race, none of it was Cyclocross.

I used it as a road training bike and long distance cruising bike, often incorporating dirt and gravel. If I went away and could only take one bike, I would take it.

I did my reading and for all the reasons you mention, I stripped and sold my last SwissCross frame and am awaiting my "Gravel grinder" frame to build up. More bottle cages, more relaxed geometry, clearance for bigger tyres, etc.

If the CX bike was 80% road bike and 20% Rigid HT MTB, the gravel grinder is likely to be 70/30.

I have done bike packing excursions on MTB and CX. I look forward to trying this out as well.

☺️thanks eddy.

I must say that I am really enjoying my bike, even though my riding is still mostly tar. Also enjoying the bigger tyres. Bike is still fast, but more comfy. Have not converted them to tubeless, will do that after the 947. It is more sporty SUV than a proper 4x4. I am not interested in going mega off-road, so perfect for me????????

Hi there..

So I'm new to all of this. Been busy with something for a while, and maybe still far from finished.

Basically trying to put something together with nothing.. scraps

Does anyone perhaps have a cheap midge bar with riser stem?

Hi there..

So I'm new to all of this. Been busy with something for a while, and maybe still far from finished.

Get hold of the nerd - he had a Midge he was prepared to sell.

Hi there..

Get hold of the nerd - he had a Midge he was prepared to sell.

Sorry guys.. sooold my goooold midge! 

36 hole Open Pros have been the bullet proof standard since Julius Caesar fitted a set to his chariot.

Thanks Eddy. You managed to put a much-need smile on my face with this!

Any one want a small On One Kaffenback II in black? Have frame, forks and modern gen BB7's going for a bird call. cheap cheap...

After fiddling about I have decided on having 4 bikes instead of 14....... I know that sounds crazy and 6 months ago me would slap me silly right now but....

Will place the add in the classifieds when I get the chance but thought I would drop it here 1st amongst the experts!

Any one want a small On One Kaffenback II in black? Have frame, forks and modern gen BB7's going for a bird call. cheap cheap...

After fiddling about I have decided on having 4 bikes instead of 14....... I know that sounds crazy and 6 months ago me would slap me silly right now but....

Will place the add in the classifieds when I get the chance but thought I would drop it here 1st amongst the experts!

I brought this frame in for another hubber who then sold it to Jewbacca. It's a great, versatile frame and perfect for a coffee shop spin to exploring our back roads and most of what lies between.

I am still in need to start. Just too many things on my plate 

I have basically decided to find myself a 26'er Hardtail frame and then take it from there as I have most of the parts needed to complete the build.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, I think.....

I have just heard that my frame has cleared customs and is on its way to the agents in Cape Town. It should be with them on Thursday morning.

If I book an overnight courier, I will have it on Friday - hopefully morning.

A few hours of building and a setup booked for late afternoon.  I may even get to ride it on our planned Breedtsnek ride on Saturday.......

post-50-0-13756400-1478616956_thumb.jpg

This has been waiting patiently in the cupboard since July....:

Edited by eddy

Good news, I think.....

I have just heard that my frame has cleared customs and is on its way to the agents in Cape Town. It should be with them on Thursday morning.

If I book an overnight courier, I will have it on Friday - hopefully morning.

A few hours of building and a setup booked for late afternoon.  I may even get to ride it on our planned Breedtsnek ride on Saturday.......

This has been waiting patiently in the cupboard since July....:

Eddy, how long did you have to wait for your frame once the order was placed?

Did it sit in SA Customs for any length of time?

Thanks

Eddy, how long did you have to wait for your frame once the order was placed?

Did it sit in SA Customs for any length of time?

Thanks

I ordered through the local agents and it came in seafreight with a whole lot of other stuff. I suspect that it was a LCL and as such dependent on when they got space so it was late in leaving the States but once it got here it was through clearing and Customs in a matter of days.

Ship docked last Thursday and was all done by Monday.