Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

My attempt at a monstercross build. Medium Surly Karate Monkey frame and other bits and pieces I had/could find cheap. Couldn't really get it as comfy as I would have liked - mostly reach issues and coming from a mtb background didnt like the drops very much.

post-18513-0-40495300-1468601194_thumb.jpeg

post-18513-0-17883000-1468601201_thumb.jpeg

Still looked lekker though. Now a flatbar gravel grinding beast.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome build. Well done!

As roadie I like drop handles more.

Even considered to put drop handles on my Scalpel..lol

After building my monster bike (right) my son( 11 yrs old) also wanted one. So I converted my wife's unused 26er into one for him (left).

8 speed Sora / vee brakes / steel fork.

Came out well and we had some nice rides

post-7189-0-31033600-1468643264_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mongoose!

The missus wanted a road bike but had carpal tunnel surgery, so a dropper handle won't work for her. Thinking about throwing a cyclo-cross/hybrid bike together for her, with a straight bar.

This thread is providing some good inspiration.

very nice V12man.

Is that a SRAM APEX 1 or Rival 1 groupset? They only seem to have the Force CX 1 groupset locally.

looks like Apex 1x11, available online at bike24.com

Apex - about 50% less than rival

very nice V12man.

Is that a SRAM APEX 1 or Rival 1 groupset? They only seem to have the Force CX 1 groupset locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any advice about the effect of wider rims on narrower tyres. E.g. 23mm internal diameter rim with a 40c tyre?

Sheldon's chart says this is ok, but what would the effect be on the tyre profile?

Would it make the rim more or less vulnerable to taking knocks?

I'm looking at buying some 29er rims to run with 40c On-One gravel road and I'm trying to decide between Frequency i19 and Frequency i23...

post-77769-0-35075600-1469566507_thumb.png

Edited by SpruitCommuter

My attempt at a monstercross build. Medium Surly Karate Monkey frame and other bits and pieces I had/could find cheap. Couldn't really get it as comfy as I would have liked - mostly reach issues and coming from a mtb background didnt like the drops very much.

image (1).jpeg

image.jpeg

Still looked lekker though. Now a flatbar gravel grinding beast.

You'll need to run the drops higher. You want to be in the drops at flat bar height or just lower. The flat top of the drops mustn't be where your flat MTB bars would typically be. This is also why dirt drops are shallower and very often flared. If you're interested in a set of proper dirt drops I may be help you out with Woodchippers or Luxys... maybe.

Does anyone have any advice about the effect of wider rims on narrower tyres. E.g. 23mm internal diameter rim with a 40c tyre?

Sheldon's chart says this is ok, but what would the effect be on the tyre profile?

Would it make the rim more or less vulnerable to taking knocks?

I'm looking at buying some 29er rims to run with 40c On-One gravel road and I'm trying to decide between Frequency i19 and Frequency i23...

Whilst everybody is going wider for 29er MTB rims, i found the narrowest ones for my CX wheels.

This allows me to run either 40c gravel tires off road or 25c GP 4000s for road riding, and everything in between.

I think this is one case where wider is not necessarily better.

Whilst everybody is going wider for 29er MTB rims, i found the narrowest ones for my CX wheels.

This allows me to run either 40c gravel tires off road or 25c GP 4000s for road riding, and everything in between.

I think this is one case where wider is not necessarily better.

I was going to suggest very similar to what Eddy has said and this is backed up by the chart above.

The max you'll run will be 40C so I would take a narrower rim that can accommodate a smaller tyre should you ever want to run them (for an Argus stint or a road ride...).

Ryanpmb

Would you be so kind and please share where one could acquire a flared shallow drop handlebar? I can't seem to find from the regular online stores. Thks

You'll need to run the drops higher. You want to be in the drops at flat bar height or just lower. The flat top of the drops mustn't be where your flat MTB bars would typically be. This is also why dirt drops are shallower and very often flared. If you're interested in a set of proper dirt drops I may be help you out with Woodchippers or Luxys... maybe.

Wanted to run some chippers but obviously sourcing them is next to impossible. If you have any leads i'd be interested though

Wanted to run some chippers but obviously sourcing them is next to impossible. If you have any leads i'd be interested though

Fixed it for you. 

Salsa CowChippers is  impossible to find. 

Been looking weekly on bike24.de and jensonusa for months now.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Cowchipper-Drop-Bar#brm-search?request_type=search&search_type=keyword&q=cowchipper&l=cowchipper

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?menu=1000%2C4%2C133%2C31;search=salsa+cowch;content=8;product=157749

NOTHING. 

Nothing in SA as far I know . . .  not new at least. 

Wood-Chippers and Cow-Bell models you'll find . . . 

But the elusive CowChipper . . . .   no luck. 

Edited by IH8MUD