Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have alloy Salsa Cowchippers. Very comfortable. 

Ok these Salso bars seem pretty popular.  Where can one buy them from?

Bought the bike off Paul Ruinaard here on the hub. What I know (and I stand corrected):

Dengfu FM059 Frame

Darkhorse Carbon Wheels on AMC/Novatec Hubs

TRP HY/RD Hydraulic Calipers

Shimano 105 STI's

Shimano 105 CX Crank

Shimano XT Rear derailleur

Shimano Deore Cassette (haven't checked the ratio, but it's quite wide)

Currently has an Easton EA70 Ergo bar on, which doesn't feel too ergo to me, so I might swap that out at some point. But I've got it set up very similar to my roadbike, but slightly less aggressive and it feels awesome. It's fast, super fast. I love it.

Edit: Also, I don't know why everyone doesn't have a 'cross bike. For the MTB riding that 90% of Pretorians do, it's bloody perfect.

Edited by bertusras

Bought the bike off Paul Ruinaard here on the hub. What I know (and I stand corrected):

Dengfu FM059 Frame

Darkhorse Carbon Wheels on AMC/Novatec Hubs

TRP HY/RD Hydraulic Calipers

Shimano 105 STI's

Shimano 105 CX Crank

Shimano XT Rear derailleur

Shimano Deore Cassette (haven't checked the ratio, but it's quite wide)

Currently has an Easton EA70 Ergo bar on, which doesn't feel too ergo to me, so I might swap that out at some point. But I've got it set up very similar to my roadbike, but slightly less aggressive and it feels awesome. It's fast, super fast. I love it.

Edit: Also, I don't know why everyone doesn't have a 'cross bike. For the MTB riding that 90% of Pretorians do, it's bloody perfect.

Yes you got it about right there. 

Enjoy - i still have the set of Specialized tyres for you to come and collect. Just dont run those rims at over 4 bar.

Yes you got it about right there. 

Enjoy - i still have the set of Specialized tyres for you to come and collect. Just dont run those rims at over 4 bar.

Sorry CX 70 Crank

Sorry CX 70 Crank

Oh, Ultegra? Nice!

Edit: Again, thanks Paul. This bike is awesome. I'll arrange to collect the tyres from you some time!!

Edited by bertusras

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, Some awesome projects on here. Although I admit Ive only read up to page 26 before giving up.

I have moved out to the Winelands area after having had Kloofnek and the beautiful Llandudno roads to train on for 15 years.. Out here locals ride hardtails mtb's because there's gravel roads and farms,  its just what there is more to ride of.. So Ive joined one or two group rides on my road bike when there was some tar but it does get overwhelmed pretty quickly on real dirt roads. However, its just so much more fun riding "on edge" on my road bike than it is riding dirt roads on my full sus Mtb..

Enter, the gravel grinder.

So far I've learned that a 26 inch frame could work.. However, I thought of swapping my 29er MTB race wheelset out with this bike to save costs. That wont fit in a 26er though, so I'd have to get a 29er HT and Carbon fork for this or some other frame. Someone mentioned this stuffs the angles up pretty badly. Can anyone give some advice on trying to do it this way? What is the biggest tire size one can get through these hybrid frames?

post-1279-0-60003400-1493909933_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, Some awesome projects on here. Although I admit Ive only read up to page 26 before giving up.

I have moved out to the Winelands area after having had Kloofnek and the beautiful Llandudno roads to train on for 15 years.. Out here locals ride hardtails mtb's because there's gravel roads and farms,  its just what there is more to ride of.. So Ive joined one or two group rides on my road bike when there was some tar but it does get overwhelmed pretty quickly on real dirt roads. However, its just so much more fun riding "on edge" on my road bike than it is riding dirt roads on my full sus Mtb..

Enter, the gravel grinder.

So far I've learned that a 26 inch frame could work.. However, I thought of swapping my 29er MTB race wheelset out with this bike to save costs. That wont fit in a 26er though, so I'd have to get a 29er HT and Carbon fork for this or some other frame. Someone mentioned this stuffs the angles up pretty badly. Can anyone give some advice on trying to do it this way? What is the biggest tire size one can get through these hybrid frames?

Depends on the 26" frame, some of them fit 29er wheel with cross tyres just fine!