Sub-4:17 and Sub-4:40 Die Burger Finishers Wanted for Research on Pacing

Science in Motion

Dear fellow HubSA members,

The MRC/UCT Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine is conducting a study to investigate the psychophysiological determinants of pacing during prolonged endurance.

The aim of the study is to determine the physical and mental factors that make up the High Performance Athlete. The study will investigate the differences between 'Elite' and 'Sub-Elite' cyclists as well as the differences between the 'Winners' and 'Losers' of a simulated head-on-head competition on a virtual hilly 70km time trial course.

Eligibility criteria are:
Male
Age 18-45
'Elite' cyclists: Sub-3 hours Cape Argus, Sub-4:20 One Tonner, Sub-2:17 Die Burger, A-seeded, >8h per week, and if available a PPO of 5.3 to 5.7 W/kg and a VO2max of >60 ml/min/kg
'Sub-Elite' cyclists: 3:15 to 3:30 Cape Argus, 4:40 to 5h One Tonner, 4:30 to 4:40 Die Burger, C-seeded, 6-8h per week, and if available a PPO of 4.5 to 4.9 W/kg and a VO2max of >55 ml/min/kg

Requirements are:
4 visits to the Sports Science Institute of South Africa, Newlands, Cape Town in the next 6 to 8 weeks
Visit 1: 3.5-4h, incl. Anthropometry, VO2max testing and 70km Familiarization
Visit 2: 2.5-3h, maximal 70km Baseline Time Trial
Visit 3: 3-3.5h, maximal 70km Individual Time Trial, incl. questionnaires and blood sampling
Visit 4: 3-3.5h, maximal 70km Competition Time Trial against an equally matched cyclist, incl. questionnaires and blood sampling

Benefits are:
A full and comprehensive VO2max Report
Spin Scan analysis of your two Experimental Time Trials
A Psychological Performance Profile

For more Information see Research Posters attached and/or contact:

Dr. Andreas Venhorst, MD
andreas.venhorst@gmail.com

We are looking forward to having you as a participant!

Kind regards

Andreas

Research Poster Psychophysiology Sub-Elite.pdf

Research Poster Psychophysiology Elite.pdf

Eligibility criteria are:

Male

Age 18-45

'Elite' cyclists: Sub-3 hours Cape Argus, Sub-4:20 One Tonner, Sub-2:17 Die Burger, A-seeded, >8h per week, and if available a PPO of 5.3 to 5.7 W/kg and a VO2max of >60 ml/min/kg

'Sub-Elite' cyclists: 3:15 to 3:30 Cape Argus, 4:40 to 5h One Tonner, 4:30 to 4:40 Die Burger, C-seeded, 6-8h per week, and if available a PPO of 4.5 to 4.9 W/kg and a VO2max of >55 ml/min/kg

Do you perhaps mean 2:30-2:40 for die burger?

Hi Winstonian,

thank you for reading the information carefully.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. The sub-elite criteria is indeed 2:30-2:40 for the Die Burger.

I am very sorry for this typo, but hope that the other criteria are clarifying the type of fitness we are looking for.

Thanks again for pointing it out.

Cheers Andreas

And here I got all excited thinking that my time 4:37 for Die Burger could get me into this study.

Anyways if you ever need a sub-standard cyclist that's doing cycling to get a bit of exercise for your studies then I am available.

Hi Winstonian,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. The sub-elite criteria is indeed 2:30-2:40 for the Die Burger.

I am very sorry for this typo, but hope that the other criteria are clarifying the type of fitness we are looking for.

Cheers Andreas

Hi Andreas

I might be interested but please tell me how do i determine my PPO ? I have never done this and not sure. The rest i definitely qualify.

Hi Andreas

I might be interested but please tell me how do i determine my PPO ? I have never done this and not sure. The rest i definitely qualify.

Good question, although I dont qualify because ive been cycling for just under a year and only did 2:42. Oh well, next time :ph34r:

Good question, although I dont qualify because ive been cycling for just under a year and only did 2:42. Oh well, next time :ph34r:

Slacker....

:whistling:

Hi Winstonian,

Cheers Andreas

Maybe change the thread title, Andreas, as it will reflect your search more accurately.

Hi Andreas

Get hold of him directly?

The 1st session would be an assessment (Vo2 max test) to see whether you meet the criteria.

Contact him directly on andreas.venhorst@gmail.com Replies quick enough to that!

His suggested markers are purely that. The VO2max test will determine whether your fitness capacity puts you into the target ranges or not.

I've scheduled a first visit even though I have not done an event at race pace for well over a year now as I have been doing events with the SO and not necessarily in peak race form either.

Hi All,

first of all please excuse my delayed response to the thread (rider 3000). We are currently quite busy with the experimental trials and preperation and conduction really take a some serious time.

It seems like the typo in the title brings more response, so I think I leave it for the moment.

Thanks to Huez and Tubehunter for answering the questions for me. I couldn´t have done it better.

Looking forward to having you as a participant in our study.

Cheers Andreas