First look: 2015 Giant Anthem SX 27.5

Nick

so after a little research i see it weighs 12.75  so about 600 grams lighter than a trance. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if I should save for one of those or a Trek Fuel EX 9.9 :huh:

Saving for the Fuel ex 9.8 (2015). The 9.9 would be awesome but seriously costly!!

Great concept .I had 2 anthems and these changes are exactly what I would have suggested .I still prefer 29 ' .More traction for a 100kg rider. A carbon frame of most of the top brands cost more than this whole bike

Been running a 120 fork on my anthem and it is great. I would definately recommend that change even if you don't buy the whole new bike.

Been running a 120 fork on my anthem and it is great. I would definately recommend that change even if you don't buy the whole new bike.

I have the 2014 Anthem 27.5, How much of a difference has the 120mm fork made compared to the standard 100mm. Can you actually feel the difference considering that you've only adjusted the travel on the fork by 20mm?

I have the 2014 Anthem 27.5, How much of a difference has the 120mm fork made compared to the standard 100mm. Can you actually feel the difference considering that you've only adjusted the travel on the fork by 20mm?

You need to consider the % increase in this case. It's not "just 20mm" it's actually increasing the travel by a whopping 20%. That's a lot...

i still think the trance is the best bike for south african riding.

but at least this bike is a step in the right direction you know use it don't use it drink beer eat pies anything its a free country.

Not in my category of bikes I like to ride, but this looks like the right bike for most Saffas.  Also, I am not so sure that you can get a Camber or PygaOneTen with SLX/XT drivetrain, stealth dropper and fox suspension (I reckon the 2015 fox kit is OK) and decent rubber for R32k (or assuming your LBS gives you the standard 10% - R29k).  For R30k that's a hell of a lot of bike.  I like.

What is the standard spec length and width of the stem/bar combo?  60mm with 720mm would make this bike so sweet.

You need to consider the % increase in this case. It's not "just 20mm" it's actually increasing the travel by a whopping 20%. That's a lot...

Makes sense. So if I were to find a buy a 20mm Fox Spacer could I adjust the travel on my 100mm Fox 32 Float to 120mm?

The review states "I like to argue that this style of bike is a far better match for many South African cross-country mountain biker's aspirations and abilities than the harsh race inspired bikes that are currently so popular".

Can you clarify when you say cross country (XC) are you referring to XC loops, our typical weekend 45-75 km rides/races, long flat rides or stage riding? Is there a thread that helps clarify what type of bike and suspension is best for which type of riding/racing?

The review states "I like to argue that this style of bike is a far better match for many South African cross-country mountain biker's aspirations and abilities than the harsh race inspired bikes that are currently so popular". Can you clarify when you say cross country (XC) are you referring to XC loops, our typical weekend 45-75 km rides/races, long flat rides or stage riding? Is there a thread that helps clarify what type of bike and suspension is best for which type of riding/racing?

Hi ddj

By cross-country I'm referring to endurance distances with easy to moderate technical difficulty, which I guess would fall into your "our typical weekend 45-75 km rides/races" category. I am also referring to riders of average and below ability riding these routes, not the serious rider or racer. I feel that rider ability is a factor often neglected and misunderstood when selecting a bike in South Africa.

I can't think of a topic off the top of my head discussing which suspension setup for each type of riding. Ultimately it will be a personal choice, as even amongst professional racers in specific genres of XC there are differences of opinion on this topic. Try searching the forum, which I admit can be a bit hit or miss sometimes. If you don't find a suitable discussion, please start your own forum discussion on this topic.

Hi ddj

By cross-country I'm referring to endurance distances with easy to moderate technical difficulty, which I guess would fall into your "our typical weekend 45-75 km rides/races" category. I am also referring to riders of average and below ability riding these routes though, not the serious rider or racer. I feel that rider ability is a factor often neglected and misunderstood when selecting a bike in South Africa.

Agreed. For most trails the slacker head angle and extra travel comes in handy. Wouldn't make much of a difference if you stay in an area where the trails aren't steep, but it would be beneficial in KZN, Western Cape and Mpumalanga for sure.

Is there a thread that helps clarify what type of bike and suspension is best for which type of riding/racing?

There have been some, but it gets muddy quick. Too many factors to consider to rely on a flat answer.

The general misconception is that longer travel makes for a slower bike. This comes from a land and time when suspension design and suspension components were new to those designing them. Most designs have settled and advances are much smaller now than even a couple of years ago. But the stigma stuck which leads to many riders on a bike that's ideal or optimal for THEIR riding and terrain.

Edited by Iwan Kemp

Agreed. For most trails the slacker head angle and extra travel comes in handy. Wouldn't make much of a difference if you stay in an area where the trails aren't steep, but it would be beneficial in KZN, Western Cape and Mpumalanga for sure.

There have been some, but it gets muddy quick. Too many factors to consider to rely on a flat answer.

The general misconception is that longer travel makes for a slower bike. This comes from a land and time when suspension design and suspension components were new to those designing them. Most designs have settled and advances are much smaller now than even a couple of years ago. But the stigma stuck which leads to many riders on a bike that's ideal or optimal for THEIR riding and terrain.

A modern long travel bike will be much better than an early one, but it will be a slower climber than a modern short travel bike.

What you have to figure out is whether the type of riding you do will benefit from being able to descend quicker. This will determine whether a long travel bike may, in fact, be faster overall on your trails.

A few years ago everyone wanted a light hard tail 26"

We were made to believe the duals are too heavy.

now everyone wants a dual 29"

now when most own a 29 dual, we get told the 27.5 is the right thing.

Seems there's just a few people constantly gesuip influencing the masses.

at Origin of trails, 26,27.5 and 29ers finished. Hard tails and duals.

There were even some real k@k bikes with v brakes, they crossed the line.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

In SA we are obsessed with owning and riding the bikes that are labelled "the fastest" out there (hence so many Spez Epics, Giant Anthems, Scott Sparks etc out there.) These are often not the most suited bikes for ave Joe (who thinks he is a world champ). SA riders are missing out on a whole bunch of awesomeness by not riding bikes like this Anthem SX, Giant Trance / Reign, Spez Cambers, PYGA oneten, Scott Genius, Cannondale Trigger, Trek Fuel / Rumblefish etc etc etc..... 

My 2c worth....

Edited by MuddyMike