Review: Merida One-Forty 1-B

Iwan Kemp

Didn't they have this suspension design on the One-Forty since 2013 model year? I've been asking the Merida agents for pricing on the One-Forty range for the past 2 years. They just always said that they couldn't help me. Happy on my Trance now...

not really fair to swap out the fox for a rockshox pike, is it?

that's like swapping out the drivetrain or the brakeset, isn't it?

I can understand changing a tyre at R750 a pop but (casually) changing a front fork is not an inexpensive exercise...

Looks good, any idea what they'd go for price wise?

No way to know for sure, but it should be on par with the Trances of the world.

Spec wise this is close to the Trance 2 27.5 I've been riding.

not really fair to swap out the fox for a rockshox pike, is it?

that's like swapping out the drivetrain or the brakeset, isn't it?

I can understand changing a tyre at R750 a pop but (casually) changing a front fork is not an inexpensive exercise...

True, but consider this.

1. Wouldn't be fair to blame the frame / Merida for an OE component that can't keep up at the very upper limit of the bike's use. Trying a different fork showed the bike is capable to run with some big boys and that you're not stuck with a bad suspension design that no component will fix.

Based on experience with RS Revelations on other bikes I'm sure it would have had a positive upgrade effect as well. I just happened to have a 650b Pike in the cupboard. 

2. Yes, there are better forks (Fox's own Factory model for example), but those come at a price. The (local) competition is running the same fork and at this price-point it offers good value for money. 

3. If I didn't try the different fork it would have left a couple of questions unanswered - the same way it would have on any other bike that's (seemingly) capable to handle more. Only one way to find out...

See it not as "if you buy this bike you will HAVE to swap out the fork", but rather "buy a bike that one day will be upgrade-worthy, but still oodles of fun if you keep it stock".

On a side note: I wouldn't necessarily upgrade to a Pike on this bike. I believe that as soon as you do that there will be some other components that will need look at as the Pike is big hit ready. Again, for me, no different to any other 140mm dual suspension bike with similar components.

Hope this adds some clarity.

Don't knock a triple crank, especially on a bike like this where a few grams are of little concern - the ability to dump or gain a bunch of gears twice instead of just once with one click of the left shifter is invaluable, especially on undulating track where you are trying to maintain momentum and a reasonable pedal cadence. Shimano front shifting is so good that you can do this reliably under power with no mis-shifts. 

No ooh and aah appeal for me. Sorry. typical Merida, bland.

Honest question: do you think has something to do with the spec? Would it be different if it had 11 speed, a blacked out Rock Shox and a DBInline or something drool worthy?

1x11 xo would def help, maybe the Pike will also make it look better. But compared to its rivals, on looks, this wont be my first choice.

Im currently riding the Merida 120 900 D, i know its not the same but I must say I really enjoy its. The only problem i have is the gear set up which is also a 3 x 10, it feels like shifting a truck gear box when riding on a flat area.  

Edited by Bomberman

They seem to go for about R53000.00

If that is the price there are better options. Merida should have focused on the suspension and put slx or deore cranks on instead among  a few other things. A pike or at least a fox 34 should be on this bike...

If the bike is retailing for over R50k, I would definitely look elsewhere. 

Somehow, the bike just doesn't look special. It's kind of like buying a million Rand Toyota. It will get the job done, but won't give you that fizz when you look at it.