And then there was silence!

Fisan

I did my first BB replacement today.

The old BB have been tik-tik'ing for the past month, so I waited for that CWC-special before finally getting a replacement.

After the replacement the tik-tik was gone... replaced by a creak-creak sound (also consistent with pedal strokes)  :cursing:

I then swapped rear wheels with my dad's bike to try and localise the problem - the creaking disappeared. So I put my wheel back again, and the creaking sound was gone!  :blink:

This also happened the last time my BB was replaced (not by myself though). The LBS said the drivetrain just needed a clean. I just find it odd that a drivetrain-related sound goes creak-creak consistently with pedalstrokes...

TL;DR: Replaced BB, more prominent creaking sound, swapped rear wheel, swapped back - creaking sound gone.

Creaking was maybe coming from your quick release and dropouts

Or spokes rubbing against each other

In my experience go with tightening the rear wheel axle. I played with a BB for 2 weeks before this simple fix solved the problem. :cursing:

• 3 weeks later...