So I entered a little race called the Trans Baviaans.....

DoubleJ

If it has been covered I apologize - please direct me to the correct thread.

1st time 2015, looking very much forward to it. I know it's going to be tough and I know that training is going to consist of long hours of elevated hills and post training foot blisters.

My question is....how much training is enough to finish sub 15 hours?

Here's what I am currently doing. 3-4 x 40km rides during the week with about 550m elevation, mostly gravel road. Then weekends between 70 - 110km with about 1500 to 2500m elevation. The odd Sufferfest video maybe twice a week.

I do realize that to do the TB you need to be mentally prepared and in prime physical condition ..... Any training tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ps: I've only been riding for about a year now if that changes things.

Thank you

You are training more than enough. We did it in under 12 hours ride time on less than that. Get a 200km (10-12 hour) done. Also ride at night to get used to the difference.

Check out the other TB thread for advice. Dont stress, its not that hard.

How does that saying go:

if you're able to complete half the distance comfortably, you should be good to make the distance, albeit in a world of hurt ;)

The secret isn't in the hours ridden, it's in the type of riding. And learn how to manage your body. Look for the signs of hunger, of the bonk approaching, when to drink, what to eat and drink when etc.

For this year's event I did one 6hr ride, one 5hr ride, and the rest were 3 or 4 hour rides.

Trans Baviaans can be tough if the weather doesn't play along, but generally it's not that hard.

There is still a lot of time, so make sure you don't over-train now and lose steam 4 - 6 weeks before the race (or worse pick up an injury), rather build a good base and increase your distance every few weeks (and get enough recovery!)

What I took from my first TB in 2013:

1. Night riding is important, especially in the colder weeks closer to the race to make sure you are comfortable with your gear as you will be spending a lot of time in or on it (we lost 1h30 due to broken lights that we had to stop and fix)

2. Get your nutrition right, and eat while on your long rides. The menu seems to stay the same every year, so you will have a good idea of what will be served

Enjoy it, it's really an awesome experience!

Also looking at my 1st TBav in 2015. Training for J2C should get me more or less into the right physical shape. Mental preparation will however be a challenge. Really excited