Olympic Cycles pres less 2014

Berry

Olympic Cycles Pres Less Foord Asset Journey 4 sight n Service Cycle Tour

Start: 18 January 2015 Category: Road Venue: Paul Greyling Primary Address:
Google Map Fish Hoek, South Africa

An old favorite with exiting new routes. This year due to on-going road works on main road  we have come up with new routes and a hilltop finish on the top of Blackhill for riders to brag about afterwards. Some riders will be happy to know there is no more Boyes drive at the beginning of the ride when your muscles are still cold and the dreaded Ou-Kaapse weg is out ! We hope that this makes the ride safer  while still being challenging and interesting.

Event Olympic Cycles Pres Less Foord Asset Journey 4 sight n Service Cycle Tour Event date Sunday 18 January 2015 Distances 55 km, 35 km Starting times 06h30 Venue Paul Greyling School, Sunray Road, Fish Hoek Enquiries Ron Holmes (021) 531- 2023 / 072 560 3859 / ronaldgholmes@gmail.com; Anthony Doman (021) 530-3230 / 083 445 3049 / doman@mweb.co.za; or Les Salo (021) 671-6821 / 082 789 7744 / caspari@iafrica.com Cut-off / lucky draw 10h00 lucky draw. Cut-off TBC Pre-entries close Thursday 15 January 2015 Online entries https://online.entries.co.za/entries/findperson.aspx?eid=3297 On-the-day late entries? Yes

ROUTE DESCRIPTION

55 km: From the school in Fish Hoek, cyclists will head out on Main road and follow Kommetjie road to Slangkop, around Cape Point, through Simonstown and left up Red Hill. At the top of Red Hill, the route turns right to Da Gama Park and left onto Main road. The finish is on top of Blackhill, with a neutral zone back to the venue.

35 km: This route follows the long route until Ocean View, where the riders turn left. Short route riders will again turn left at the foot of Red Hill and pedal up the back of Red Hill to turn left and join up with the long route.

DIRECTIONS TO VENUE

Take the M3 to Fish Hoek. Turn right after the Clovelly traffic lights into Banks Road and proceed to the school fields/parking area. If coming over Ou Kaapse Weg, turn left at the Sun Valley / Kommetjie Road four-way and follow the J4SnS Cycle Tour signs to the school. GPS Coordinates: S34.132017, E18.431733.

NOTES
Pre-registration at the Lions Club of Kirstenbosch Clubhouse, Almond Street, Newlands (Fernwood) on Sat 10 January 2015, 10h00-14h00. Registration on the day at Paul Greyling School. No children u/12; children u/15 to be accompanied by an adult at all times.

Remember to collect your PPA funride number from the PPA Office prior to the event, or allow extra time to do so at the event. No helmet, no ride. No transponder, no time. PPA pays for its members to be electronically timed by Racetec and PPA members will start in the seeded batches ahead of non-members. Non-members will not be timed.

PPA admin staff will not be at pre-registration and PPA Members who still need to collect a funride number, must please collect it from the PPA Office, or it on the morning of the event.

Pre-Entries

Late Entries

Distance

Entry Fee

PPA members discounted entry fee

Entry Fee

PPA members discounted entry fee

55 km

R145

R105

R200

R155

35 km

R120

R75

R170

R120

post-12583-0-18438100-1417615308_thumb.jpg

post-12583-0-63873700-1417615356_thumb.jpg

Edited by berry

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55km, surely that's just silly.  Why not 2 loops then.

Agreed! I did the 73 km route in 2011 which was great. But Ou Kaapse Weg seems to be out of bounds for racing these days.

Berry, I'm pretty sure the long route goes all the way thru to the lighthouse. The short route would turn left by Oceanview.

post-3512-0-18883300-1417614286_thumb.jpg

Berry, I'm pretty sure the long route goes all the way thru to the lighthouse. The short route would turn left by Oceanview.

Hope so very much

What I would have done is do the route in reverse and when get to Ocean view go straight to light house (Slang hoek) then turn right and go over ocean view and do the first half of the route in reverse. Would have 105km, plenty climbing.

Also would not have the lapping issue as cyclists would be going in opposite direction.

Edited by Pure Savage

Thanks goodness i'll be away doing the Attakwas 120km, now there is some mileage for those begging for more.

Excited for this race, gonna be nice and fast... Anybody know when PPA will be re-running our seedings? Been wondering now for the past few days now where i'll seed after having such a great Burger

Excited for this race, gonna be nice and fast... Anybody know when PPA will be re-running our seedings? Been wondering now for the past few days now where i'll seed after having such a great Burger

Its been updated.

55km, surely that's just silly.  Why not 2 loops then.

This new route is really disappointing. This years was fantastic and I was really looking forward to 2015. Not so much now...

We hear you and we don't like it either, but the City has made it clear we really have no choice.  Laps are a no-no and out-and-back is also frowned on. As far as I know, in terms of big events only the CTCT and Two Oceans have clearance to use the bit of tar that's under construction.

The Red Hill Challenge may be a special case, possibly because of rider numbers. It pretty well looks like ours will be the only ride in the Deep South this season.

Anyway, in my current state of fitness, even 55 km is probably too far.

- Anthony (co-convenor)

Edited by pbp2007

We hear you and we don't like it either, but the City has made it clear we really have no choice. Laps are a no-no and out-and-back is also frowned on. As far as I know, in terms of big events only the CTCT and Two Oceans have clearance to use the bit of tar that's under construction.

The Red Hill Challenge may be a special case, possibly because of rider numbers. It pretty well looks like ours will be the only ride in the Deep South this season.

Anyway, in my current state of fitness, even 55 km is probably too far.

- Anthony (co-convenor)

Thanks for the update. Guessed it was the city. Thought in this day and age they would try be more accommodating. Pity they don t like the out and back. Could get decent distance and avoid the ocean view stretch.