Olympic Cycles pres less 2014

Berry

Thank you for the feedback. Just a couple of questions for clarity: What particularly do you think we need to do better on the water points? What would make the ride better value for money?

Your waterpoints had no food at all, no coke, and only warm water. The norm these days in Cape Town is at least some Coke and Energade, a couple of sweets or bananas. Anything really.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, really, we rode the whole race on 1 bottle of water that we carried from start to finish. How many water points with what kind of refreshments do you reckon the PPA should put on for a race that is under 60 kms long? Personally, I thought they could have left any water tables out altogether for this one.

As for determining the distance, most people just had to look down at the bike computer, no need for sign boards to warn you. Today I rode without a bike computer  myself (stupid thing just died), and there were so many fellow riders who were happy to tell me the distance, I could have work out a pretty accurate average whenever I asked.

Or did I somehow miss the tongue in cheek emoticon?

Dont be a douchebag dude. Fitness levels vary massively. Why pay for a race then if absolutley no support is offered. You know how many people I saw pushing bikes? About 10, no pick up vehicle. There is a big difference to you guys riding sub 2 hours, and back markers riding 3 hours. 

No complaints about water points. I take care of my nutrition on and off the bike. Be better prepared or stay at home. I saw a sweeper vehicle on the route.

No complaints about water points. I take care of my nutrition on and off the bike. Be better prepared or stay at home. I saw a sweeper vehicle on the route.

Just remember, without the back markers, you guys wont have any races. I could have easily managed with one bottle of water, the guys and girls I was riding with today were battling. 

Guest DieBees

As a social (below average) rider DONT tell me it a 55km race and make be race 58km. Damn it was hard. It was my first time and doubt if I will do this race again. The only grace was weather it was awesome.

Also why did the short route guys start so soon after longer route guys.

Ha ha. I am exactly the same! Shame man. I know exactly what you mean. We rode a race once that was 10km longer. Boy that killed me.

Dont be a douchebag dude. Fitness levels vary massively. Why pay for a race then if absolutley no support is offered. You know how many people I saw pushing bikes? About 10, no pick up vehicle. There is a big difference to you guys riding sub 2 hours, and back markers riding 3 hours. 

I'm not trying to be nasty. :) I understand that they have to cater for a very varied field of riders. Having introduced my 2 young sons to road cycling over the past few years, I know what it is to be out there for a while.

I think the PPA did a good job putting this race on. The huge carpark was safe. Registration was smooth. The start went off without issues. The marshalling at every dangerous point was excellent. Marshalls were friendly and I saw many of them encouraging cyclists, over and above waving a red flag. The finish line was in a place where it was safe to allow for a bunch sprint finish. The marshals after the finish line and all the way back to the start was a good idea.  As for sweeper vehicles, I'm pretty sure they were there.

Perhaps water points were just lower on my agenda today than on yours. Peace?

Your waterpoints had no food at all, no coke, and only warm water. The norm these days in Cape Town is at least some Coke and Energade, a couple of sweets or bananas. Anything really.

Thank you for taking the trouble to give me your response, Johnny Bravo.

For the record, we had a two sweep pickup vehicles, one for each route. They shuttled riders to safety and then to the finish while the race was in progress and returned to the tail.

We also had a communications vehicle and an ambulance at the tail of the ride. Finally, as route marshal I am the sweep vehicle of last resort.

An hour and a quarter after cutoff, I met the two official sweep vehicles on Scala Road, on Red Hill, and gave them permission to stand down and return home only after we had given riders the option of (1) get on board (2) ride further in the knowledge that all services were withdrawn. An hour after this I was still driving back along the route checking for riders like the small group who first called in lost, then needed to be picked up and then made it to finish under their own steam, though without informing us.

I tell you this not to bore or impress you, but to reassure you that rider safety enjoys the highest priority.

I'm not trying to be nasty. :) I understand that they have to cater for a very varied field of riders. Having introduced my 2 young sons to road cycling over the past few years, I know what it is to be out there for a while.

I think the PPA did a good job putting this race on. The huge carpark was safe. Registration was smooth. The start went off without issues. The marshalling at every dangerous point was excellent. Marshalls were friendly and I saw many of them encouraging cyclists, over and above waving a red flag. The finish line was in a place where it was safe to allow for a bunch sprint finish. The marshals after the finish line and all the way back to the start was a good idea.  As for sweeper vehicles, I'm pretty sure they were there.

Perhaps water points were just lower on my agenda today than on yours. Peace?

I stated, great race, great route. Had fun, I rode with my mtb,out of my usual group, with my girlfriend, and other riders. Marshalling was tops, absolutely, everything except the waterpoints and the km to go. Was a 55km race, ended up doing almost 60km, without the neautral zone. Again, we are so used to the 5km to go, 2km to go 500 metres to go etc boards. Peace for sure, just remember that the majority of the racing field are below average and require plenty of water and stops and food. I saw that today. Imagine the Argus with only 1 waterpoint.

Thank you for taking the trouble to give me your response, Johnny Bravo.

For the record, we had a two sweep pickup vehicles, one for each route. They shuttled riders to safety and then to the finish while the race was in progress and returned to the tail.

We also had a communications vehicle and an ambulance at the tail of the ride. Finally, as route marshal I am the sweep vehicle of last resort.

An hour and a quarter after cutoff, I met the two official sweep vehicles on Scala Road, on Red Hill, and gave them permission to stand down and return home only after we had given riders the option of (1) get on board (2) ride further in the knowledge that all services were withdrawn. An hour after this I was still driving back along the route checking for riders like the small group who first called in lost, then needed to be picked up and then made it to finish under their own steam, though without informing us.

I tell you this not to bore or impress you, but to reassure you that rider safety enjoys the highest priority.

Good to know. 

race was very nice...........maybe in future the PPA can put up where the water points will be beforehand to solve the issue of people not knowing.

personally, i carry enough water to finish my own race.

will def do this again, even if it's only 55k's (or 58, whatever).

Maybe get a road bike for those road races, Johnny'

It'll be easier.

Hehehe

Edited by Huez

Maybe get a road bike for those road races, Johnny'

It'll be easier.

Hehehe

Love the sound of knobblies on the tar.

Edited by Johny Bravo

pbp2007, do you know if acetic will be updating their site to reflect the fact the long route was 58 and not 55, as they currently have it labeled as?

Great race though! So well organised, no complaints at all, will be there next year for sure!

Thank you!

Edited by iamStewart

I don't know, but I will undertake to take it up with Racetec/PPA and will report back here.

The 55/58 issue came about because we weren't sure about approved routing and permissions and then the PPA advert had to go in before we had clarity, so we rather played it safe by quoting the shorter distance because people get upset if they feel they are being cheated out of some distance.

The routes in the South are a bit of a lottery because of the ongoing roadworks, so we don't even know if we will use the same route next year. I like it, though. Short but very sharp indeed.

Edited by pbp2007