Introducing Bike Hub's Stolen Bike Database

Matt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea. Would all the info relating to serial no, bike description be available for public viewing or only registered hub members?

I would suggest to have sub-forums/titles for each stolen bike so that it does not become one huge long thread which becomes difficult to follow

Edited by LOOK695

Great idea. Would all the info relating to serial no, bike description be available for public viewing or only registered hub members?

The details of any bikes you register (to store the info, not report as stolen) are not public. Only if reported as stolen with the details and description be made public. 

However, the serial number of a reported bike won't be displayed publicly at all. You will be able to search based on a serial number. So if you have a serial number of a suspected bike this can be entered in the search field and any matching reported stolen bikes are returned.

I would suggest to have sup forums/titles for each stolen bike so that it does not become one huge long thread which becomes difficult to follow

When a stolen bike is reported a new thread in the Stolen Bikes forum is created for that bike with a standard format, e.g. 'Stolen: Trek Madone 4.5C 2015 (Cape Town)' 

So all comments / replies will only relate to that incident.

The details of any bikes you register (to store the info, not report as stolen) are not public. Only if reported as stolen with the details and description be made public. 

However, the serial number of a reported bike won't be displayed publicly at all. You will be able to search based on a serial number. So if you have a serial number of a suspected bike this can be entered in the search field and any matching reported stolen bikes are returned.

Can only members search for serial no's or public browsers as well? Needs to be difficult for thieves to access this info

Good initiative and perhaps some success of recovering bike will occur.

Especially as there are so many stolen bike threads and the owners do not even have a pic or serial number of the bike... it is their pride and joy, yet they have no pics of the bike and as we know pics help a whole lot more than just a vague description.

Hopefully this will help/force people to take a pic of their bike as well as keep up to date relevant information on it 

Edited by shaper

Great idea.

I would like to see more specific fields to fill in when registering like you have done for the classifieds.

Great idea.

I would like to see more specific fields to fill in when registering like you have done for the classifieds.

We can certainly add more fields. With the focus initially on reporting stolen bikes we didn't want to make the process too prohibitive so currently only ask for the basics. 

Can only members search for serial no's or public browsers as well? Needs to be difficult for thieves to access this info

Anyone who has a serial number can search to see if it matches a stolen bike. But serial numbers are not displayed - I'm not sure if that addresses your concern?

I would like to see all LBS using this discreetly to check bikes that come through their shop. eventually all stolen bikes need to be serviced, no.

imagine if a small army of interns could check the argus finish bikepark too?!