Review: Borealis Yampa fat bike

Nick

Unless you’ve been hiding in the woods high up in the mountains enjoying your own private trail system for the last couple of years, you’re going to have heard about the fat bike phenomenon. Being an inquisitive bike rider, I couldn’t help but want to try one of these beasts. Thankfully, the team at Fat Bike Co South Africa were willing to let me pretend to own one of their Borealis fat bikes for a couple of weeks.

Click here to view the article

Im sorry - 46k for a rigid x0x9 mechanical brake bike.... I'm never one to complain about bike pricing but...... 

Im sorry - 46k for a rigid x0x9 mechanical brake bike.... I'm never one to complain about bike pricing but...... 

Fat bikes don't need to be anything but rigid. With those tyres there is more than enough "suspension" 

BB7's will outlast and outperform many hydraulic offerings. The fact that they're on this bike is no doubt a nod to the bikes heritage. These bikes are taken to extreme and remote areas and componentry is chosen based on this - ease of mechanics, ability to withstand extreme conditions etc...

But yes, R46k... eish... I think the Fatty Fenomenon may have something to do with the price...

Edited by Ryanpmb

Also im not sure on the weight of this but the Borealis ive picked up weighed less than most XC bikes so yeah i think R46k is fair...

I mean bikes are expensive, its half the price of bike half as fun... enter spez, pina, the like.

This reminds me. I have been offered a test ride on one. I need to contact the guy again.

You wont be disappointed :thumbup:

Nor will you...  :clap:

I know, i cant wait to get  my hands on it....  :P  :wub:  Even my heavy as a tank Rapid fatty is a blast so can just imagine what the new one is gonna be like.....  :clap:  :w00t:

As for the Borealis.... This particular one is visiting me a bit and to be honest its an impressive piece of kit. The brakes yeah that can be better, even just fitting a set of Deore hydraulics will make a huge difference for our SA crowd. Other than that its pretty solid and a real looker as Nick said. Would i splash that cash? If i had it yeah in a heart beat...

But im a metal kinda guy so im pretty happy with whats on its way  :whistling:  :w00t:  :clap:

Edited by BogusOne

Avid mechanical are sweet (probably better than their hydraulic offerings).

After taking a glance at what people are asking for their second hand bikes on the classifieds, R46k prob not that bad... especially considering the economics of manufacturing extremely small quantities of parts like the BB,hubs and frames. Not nearly in my price class though