Take on the tallest peaks of the Sultanate of Oman at Trans Hajar mountain bike stage race

News bot

Don’t miss the Trans Hajar, an awesome new mountain bike stage race set in the highest mountain range of the Sultanate of Oman. In its fifth year but with a completely new 400 kilometre course over five days, the Trans Hajar Mountain Bike Race, driven by Oman Cycling Association, takes in epic scenery, challenging climbs, descents and customised single-track making this a must do event for pros and amateurs alike.

Click here to view the article

oh boo. One race village with transport to the start and then ride more or less circles to get back to race village.

Oman is the one Arabian Peninsula country that really pull me. I would be very tempted. A bit expensive.

Anyone that was at the event last year that can comment on:

• Can a slow backmarker 'fit in'? 
  • Safety?
  • Potential for MTB touring there?

how much are plane tickets to this place ?

Tickets are actually not that expensive especially around that time. You can pay anything from R7000 to as low as R4000 all depends on which airline as well as when you want to go. My brother stays in Muscat and I would have been in for this, but we've got our moms 80th here that weekend ;).  

Maybe 2016...  Those mountains are hectic, trust me I have walked them.

Pretty much boring riding although the scenery is awesome

Saw the Kenya stage race on SCycling last night.That is the one to do.Best I have seen

Saw the Kenya stage race on SCycling last night.That is the one to do.Best I have seen

Kranswurm, did you ride in that area? Would I be able to tour offroad/singletrack with safety?

Kranswurm, did you ride in that area? Would I be able to tour offroad/singletrack with safety?

Where?Kenya?yes...totally safe I know David Kinjah and he is adamant its safe in Kenya

I have not done it myself but I am seriously considering that tour

Dunno if I agree with you.  If we label this as boring we can just as well say K2C etc. are all boring.  I think they all have their place.

Dunno if I agree with you.  If we label this as boring we can just as well say K2C etc. are all boring.  I think they all have their place.

They do but to me K2C is a race where there is little time to enjoy scenery etc.

Personally I have no desire to do K2C,TB,Crater Cruise etc.Berg and Bush,Swazi,Tour de Tuli,Vic Falls etc are far more appealing

Hell and back is a drag

But now that Kenyan stage race looks awesome

They do but to me K2C is a race where there is little time to enjoy scenery etc.

Personally I have no desire to do K2C,TB,Crater Cruise etc.Berg and Bush,Swazi,Tour de Tuli,Vic Falls etc are far more appealing

Hell and back is a drag

But now that Kenyan stage race looks awesome

Please send me some more details ... izakmerwe@gmail.com

Yeah I agree Tour de Tuli is one I would lovvve to do or that one in Madagascar!!

Please send me some more details ... izakmerwe@gmail.com

Yeah I agree Tour de Tuli is one I would lovvve to do or that one in Madagascar!!

http://laikipiaxc.com/about.html

Couple of my friends did the Madagascar event this year.Loved it.

It is run by Fiona Coward of Sabie fame

Edited by Kranswurm