Which Merida bike for me?

Barker

Hi, i am looking at purchasing a Merida road bike.

I see there are 3 frame types : Ride, Scultura and Reacto. I use my road bike mainly for exercise and road events 50km to 100km range. There are some hills on all the routes but its not my forte. I tend to push myself for better / faster times on the same route, my best time always being my opponent. 

Why Merida you ask? Well its a question of what i can afford and of what Brands are currently available via my bike shop. Of the brands that there are stock left over in the country i decided to go with Merida. I had a 2007 Scott Elite CR1 upto this point with full shimano Tiagra.

Now that you know a bit about what i want to use the bike for. Please help me pick the correct bike. 

I have the following on my short list. It simply comes down to which frame type suits my needs.

- Merida Reacto 4000

- Merida Scultura 5000

- Merida Ride 7000

Of the 3 above i think the Reacto looks the coolest but i am not sure it is the correct choice for what i use my bike for. I am concerned that i will suffer on it on some of the hills that i do. Will also need to do the 2015 Argust on this bike.

Awaiting your advise.

Wayne

All depends on your budget. 

If budget is not an issue go for the best (lightest and best components). 

It's just going to be the best long turn solution. 

Secondly, the next best upgrade is going to be a set of extra light wheels. 

Account for that in your budget. 

Lights is a huge saving grace for those heels. 

I have listed the models above that fit budget. Just need some advise on the frame types vs ride.

From what i have read it just seems the Reacto is uncomfortable on long road events and is a Aero bike used for TT & triathlons...which i dont do. 

So the advise i am looking for here is specific to the frame types and where they get used.

The best components seem to be on the Scultura for my budget.

Edited by potholedriver

I currently ride a 2012 Scultura Evo DA and love it but am looking at upgrading.  I agree the 2015 Reacto looks great but it is a very rigid frame (so much so that they have had to put a "shock absorber" in the seat stem) and also the geometry is quite compact so less comfortable.  The components on the 4000 series is also only 105 as opposed to Ultegra on the 5000 and 7000.  If hills are an issue, just make sure that you have a 10-28 cassette on the back and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

The Ride is their comfort model.

The Scultura is their lightweight racer model

The Reacto is their aero model

Judging by your comments, the Reacto is for you.

I currently ride a 2012 Scultura Evo DA and love it but am looking at upgrading.  I agree the 2015 Reacto looks great but it is a very rigid frame (so much so that they have had to put a "shock absorber" in the seat stem) and also the geometry is quite compact so less comfortable.  The components on the 4000 series is also only 105 as opposed to Ultegra on the 5000 and 7000.  If hills are an issue, just make sure that you have a 10-28 cassette on the back and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Apparently the supplier only has the Reacto 4000 in stock otherwise i would have gone for the Reacto 5000 on my short list.

I think i can eliminate the "Ride" model from the list.

Edited by potholedriver

I personally wouldn't go for anything less than ultegra. GIANT have done the same with the propel, They have a cheaper model with 105. If the 5000 series comes with the new 6800 11sp ultegra then go for it. That is a really nice groupset, I'm riding it and love it. The reacto would be my choice but only if it has ultegra. 2nd choice would be the scultura.

Is there a real big difference between the 105 & Ultegra? What is the difference?

Keep in mind that i am coming from quite an old Tiagra which i find to function satisfactory....when i tap the paddle it changes gear not sure what more it could do..

Only complaint that i have with the Tiagra is that it sometimes jumps to my 31 chain ring instead of 39 from the 51 chain ring when i going uphill causing me to loose momentum but it does not happen consistently.

Edited by potholedriver

I'd put less importance on the groupset and more on a budget for light wheels.

You can upgrade the groupset bit by bit later if it's really a problem. But you're going to get the most benefit out of a good set of wheels - it'll help on hills, a better groupset won't.

Okay.  Be aware that the new bikes will only have 34/50 chain rings and at best 10-28 cassettes so you will be mashing a bit more than you are used to.  The old rule of thumb is that this year's 105 was last year's Ultegra, etc.  So 105 will be okay.  Also, if you are happy with everything else on your current bike, you could save yourself lots of money by having a good service and possible a new chain.

The problem with a new bike is that next year it will be old! 

Whatever happens, don't let anyone try and convince you that Merida is cheap rubbish.  They are great bikes and offer excellent value for money.

I'd put less importance on the groupset and more on a budget for light wheels.

You can upgrade the groupset bit by bit later if it's really a problem. But you're going to get the most benefit out of a good set of wheels - it'll help on hills, a better groupset won't.

Hello,

Would like to add to this comment.

Spend as much as possible on a quality set of wheels! This is by far the best you can do.

I nice stiff frame, good quality wheels ...First...

Worry about the group set later.

Enjoy your new ride !

Okay here goes...

I'm not an expert on Merida (or any other bikes), but have had my fair share of Merida bikes in my "Garage (aka. my spare bedroom...he he he) and here is my honest opinion, based on your 3 choices...

Among others I've had the pleasure of owning a Merida Reacto 907 (2012) and also Scultura 905 (2013) and Scultura 907 (my current bike 2014)...have not been on a Merida "RIDE" before, so not sure about the ride experience.

Ride 7000 - this bike falls under the heading "TOURER"...which would possibly be your "softest" ride between the 3 choices (if you would really feel the "softness" between the 3 bikes)...if you do 100+ kilometer races / stage events regularly, this is the bike for you (eg. Kremetart, Jock Classic, other Multi-stage races, etc).

Normal 90 to 100km bike races...also no problem.

Bear in mind...this bike has the BEST components of the 3 bikes you mentioned (including overall FULL Ultegra 11-speed Groupset and also best Wheelset of the 3).

Not sure about the weight on this bike. 

Scultura 5000 - under header "RACE"...the MERIDA ranges most BALANCED bike...(IMHO) and is based on the same frame Geometry as the MERIDA Scultura Team bike used in the Tour de France (only difference is the Carbon used on the Scultura range).

Full Ultegra Groupset, excluding the Crankset (Shimano 500) and the Cassette which is the NEW 105 (5800) 11-speed cassette...but nothing wrong with the quality.

Awesome balanced bike...since I started riding with a Scultura 905 (same geometry as the 5000) my Hill Climbing has improved...or maybe i'm just lucky  :thumbup:  LOVE IT!!!

Reacto 4000 - under header "RACE"...but as you mentioned before people use it more for TT racing and Ironman, etc. 

Awesome groupset - the NEW Shimano 5800 (105) but it has a 52-36 crankset (not a compact (50-34) and not a standard crank (53-39)).

The bike is a little bit heavier than the Scultura, but not sure exactly how much...

Overall a great bike...BUT

In my opinion...the Scultura 5000 is the one I would take (in total the most balanced and I enjoy climbing with it)  :clap:  Best value for Money...would just look at replacing the wheelset when you have the bucks...

Let us know what you decided  :w00t: