Scam Warning - Cape Town

Cookie88

Hi Guys,

I am new to The Hub and have recently posted my BMC Fourstroke for sale on here (https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/115593-bmc-fourstroke-fs02-xtslx-2012/), Gumtree and OLX.

I received a call yesterday from a gentleman by the name of Nelson Luthuli. He showed immediate interest (almost a bit too keen in my opinion). Stated he would match the pending offer on the bike was sending his friend Prince round that afternoon because he was situated in Vredendal.

I met up with Prince outside my offices at the Waterfront and he checked out the bike and gave Nelson the go ahead. I waited at least 15 minutes before I finally got an SMS notification for a CHEQUE DEPOSIT from an ATM in Mowbray. This was followed up by another SMS from my bank informing me that that the value of any cheque's deposited would only be available once cleared.

Fortunately I have experience in the financial services industry so I was not prepared to hand over the bike even though the amount was reflecting on my statement. After querying Nelson on the phone he tried to start making up stories about his branch being in Mowbray and that he made the payment in Vredendal which was a blatant lie. I ended up sending the chap packing telling him that we would have to wait until the cheque cleared.

Came as no surprise that I got a call from my bank this morning informing me that the cheque had rejected. 

Please watch out for these guys - I have provided details below:

"Nelson Luthuli" - 083 670 5715 (nelsluth@gmail.com)

"Prince" - 073 925 6139

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, I can't trust anyone who has a friend named Prince :ph34r:

Lol, is it better when it's Princess?  :whistling:

I was actually there when all this went down. The Prince acted all innocent and cool. I'm sure they've done a lot of this before and succeeded. Be careful guys!

The guy can't even ride a bike. He did not check for cracks on the frame. He just called and said the bike is good. lol  :thumbdown:  :blink:

Edited by Lostee

I was actually there when all this went down. The Prince acted all innocent and cool. I'm sure they've done a lot of this before and succeeded. Be careful guys!

The guy can't even ride a bike. He did not check for cracks on the frame. He just called and said the bike is good. lol  :thumbdown:  :blink:

Eventually Prince is going to get a snot pak if they keep doing this ***.

Then they going to have to check him for cracks

Eish, next time you call me! I'm in the Foreshore! Ek is moeg van die k@k!!

For what it's worth open a case with the police. Let them put away theses scammers.

I am tempted but I don't have much faith in the SAPS!!

Hi Andrew

Glad you saw through their shenanigans  :thumbup:

Just from our side, did they mention whether they saw your ad on the Hub or even contact you through the site?

Thanks.