Hey

Are there any other gluten intolerant cyclists ? 

I recently discovered i am celiac. Therefore i can't eat gluten. 

Cutting out gluten has helped me a lot recently with my riding, i'm recovering faster and feeling better. 

Although, now i am struggling to find food to eat before training. I've been using brown rice or future life zero and even both. 

Also what do you eat on the bike ? I like race fuel bars and naked bars, but now during base training time when i'm doing 5-6 hour rides everyday its getting tricky. 

Thanks 

Not exactly gluten intolerant and don't really do hectic long training rides.

But try maize and potatoes, bananas are always good.

After many years of not having wheat and then doing some experiments I have found my problem is South African flour, they do something with our flour that my system doesn't agree with.

In my particular case I have found that I can have any flour or pasta that has been imported, also if it is made from durum wheat I am fine.

A day or two before long rides : I would include  high carb vegetables like sweet potatoes and butternut in my meals

During rides : bananas, nuts, dried fruit like raisins( keep a look out -   you actually get bars made only with dried fruit and no additives), small potatoes and rye bread with peanut butter on. I also heard of people mashing sweet potato in a small bag and then eating it on the bike by biting off one of the corners.  I tried that with peanut butter which works well.

But out of all these I like bananas and small potatoes the best. :D

I also recently discovered I'm properly gluten intolerant. I've basically cut out all carbs. I only eat carbs in the form of energy drink on race days, and then only after about 1.5 hours of racing. I feel better all the time.

Gluten is terrible stuff if you're intolerant. If you don't want to cut out the carbs, I used to find bananas worked really well. Take a couple on the bike too!

I have tried cutting out carbs, i felt great and lost weight, but when i trained high intensity or endurance i struggled. I wasn't adapting to the training i was doing. 

i now eat brown rice 'oats' with some fruit before training. On the bike i eat bananas and naked/race fuel bars. 

My carb intake depends on my training volume and phase. Right now i rely heavily on sweet potato, chickpeas and brown rice. 

Carb drinks are also a good way to go, but i train on water. 

• 1 month later...

If you guys feel you're suffering when you eat foods that are high in gluten, then you may want to start looking at other causes besides gluten intolerance. 

The guy who proposed the theory has recently published additional study material in which he states: 

“In contrast to our first study… we could find absolutely no specific response to gluten.”

This lead them to the deduction that "gluten intolerance" could be a nocebo effect. Psychosomatic. In your head.

So the good news is you can stop buying all that expensive "gluten free" crap. The bad news is that you could look into omitting FODMAPs (which includes your short chain carbs, a bunch of the saccharides and quite a few others).

Quite recent studies from Belgium seem to support the notion that FODMAPs may contribute to gastrointestinal problems. Or, more specifically:

“Reduction of FODMAPs in their diets uniformly reduced gastrointestinal symptoms and fatigue in the run-in period, after which they were minimally symptomatic.”

Anyway, I'll just leave this here. Probably worth reading up on, even just if it means you won't be perpetuating a nonsense story any more. 

If you guys feel you're suffering when you eat foods that are high in gluten, then you may want to start looking at other causes besides gluten intolerance. 

The guy who proposed the theory has recently published additional study material in which he states: 

“In contrast to our first study… we could find absolutely no specific response to gluten.”

This lead them to the deduction that "gluten intolerance" could be a nocebo effect. Psychosomatic. In your head.

So the good news is you can stop buying all that expensive "gluten free" crap. The bad news is that you could look into omitting FODMAPs (which includes your short chain carbs, a bunch of the saccharides and quite a few others).

Quite recent studies from Belgium seem to support the notion that FODMAPs may contribute to gastrointestinal problems. Or, more specifically:

“Reduction of FODMAPs in their diets uniformly reduced gastrointestinal symptoms and fatigue in the run-in period, after which they were minimally symptomatic.”

Anyway, I'll just leave this here. Probably worth reading up on, even just if it means you won't be perpetuating a nonsense story any more.

Agree many like to label themselves gluten intolerant but the OP said he has coeliac diease. If true coeliac (tested HLA DQ variant or duodenal biopsy proven )then gluten is really his problem.

WW has a tiny loaf of gluten free bread for R32 if you are in need.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy all my Gluten free stuff from Dischem.  They sell ready made breads, muffins and biscuits.  They also have a lot of Gluten free pasta's

A day or two before long rides : I would include  high carb vegetables like sweet potatoes and butternut in my meals

During rides : bananas, nuts, dried fruit like raisins( keep a look out -   you actually get bars made only with dried fruit and no additives), small potatoes and rye bread with peanut butter on. I also heard of people mashing sweet potato in a small bag and then eating it on the bike by biting off one of the corners.  I tried that with peanut butter which works well.

But out of all these I like bananas and small potatoes the best. :D

Rye bread is not Gluten free.  You find Gluten in Rye, Wheat, Barley and Oats

I don't understand this thread. Please help me out with this. Gluten is a protein. Actually it is a combination of two proteins that are mostly but not exclusively found in wheat. Kneading wheat dough forms the gluten which is a long elastic protein that gives bread it's bounce and elasticity.

So what I don't understand is the assumption that a person that is intolerant to gluten needs to immediately go carb free since gluten itself isn't a carbohydrate although it is found in some carb heavy foods like bread.

What gives? What am I missing?

I use chickpea flour for heaps of things now. Very versatile and excellent gluten free replacement.

You can bake brownies and make trail bars from it etc.

I'm not gluten intolerant, but chickpea flour is much higher in protein than wheat flour.

I don't understand this thread. Please help me out with this. Gluten is a protein. Actually it is a combination of two proteins that are mostly but not exclusively found in wheat. Kneading wheat dough forms the gluten which is a long elastic protein that gives bread it's bounce and elasticity.

So what I don't understand is the assumption that a person that is intolerant to gluten needs to immediately go carb free since gluten itself isn't a carbohydrate although it is found in some carb heavy foods like bread.

What gives? What am I missing?

Exactly.  if you are Gluten intollerant you don't gou carb free, just gluten free and as you explained it is a protein found in certain grains that gives elasticity to dough, therefore you have to add a product like Xantum gum to your flours when baking for elasticity

Hey

Are there any other gluten intolerant cyclists ? 

I recently discovered i am celiac. Therefore i can't eat gluten. 

Cutting out gluten has helped me a lot recently with my riding, i'm recovering faster and feeling better. 

Although, now i am struggling to find food to eat before training. I've been using brown rice or future life zero and even both. 

Also what do you eat on the bike ? I like race fuel bars and naked bars, but now during base training time when i'm doing 5-6 hour rides everyday its getting tricky. 

Thanks 

I eat racefood on the bike www.racefood.co.za

Rye bread is not Gluten free.  You find Gluten in Rye, Wheat, Barley and Oats

Yes you are correct.

But you do find Gluten free Rye bread...... at a price

Edited by Mads

Oats do not contain gluten. They do have a protein called avenin and less than 1% of celiac sufferers are intolerant to that protein. Oats is not related to wheat as rye is