Bike jacking. CPT cycle lane. Sunday 14 December

stratus5

Hi,

A good friend of mind was sadly mugged of his bike and assorted personal items on Sunday lunchtime, on section of the cycle lane between Paarden Eiland and Woodstock. Cell phone, wallet etc.

This was on the section parallel to the railway lines, just as you go over the bridge, where the marble tiling/counter shop is on your right as you head towards town.

Two black men of possibly Tanzanian origin, armed with metal rods charged him from the freeway side before he could turn around. They escaped through the railway yard afterwards.

He is physically unharmed, but angry as hell, and busy working through the psychological after effects.

The police said they stopped patrolling the area, because there have been no muggings for a while doh!

The Myciti bus that passed a minute later would not stop to find out if he was OK, but did contact ADT at the next stop, which took about 7 minutes to arrive, but bike etc was gone by then.

Attached is a picture of his bike. Fairly vanilla unfortunately, but if anybody sees similar at a cash crusaders or bike shop second hand, please let us know. Blue garmin 500 was attached to the stem.

post-2863-0-94776600-1418629696_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:cursing: :thumbdown:

I am feeling for your mate there Stratus5.Sad that we have to live in a world like this.

Lesson to be learned may be perhaps not to ride there alone? At least he is unharmed.

Sorry to hear about your friends ordeal.  I commute through there on a daily basis and have always found that section to be frequented by some dodgy looking characters. Sunday lunch time could also be particularly quiet around there and recon that one would be better off avoiding it.

These types of posts are very commonplace nowadays but this one a makes my blood boil more than usual because I know the victim. He's a friend of mine, we are both members of the same cycling club. One of the nicest people I know. I'm just really glad that he is unharmed. I cycled that same route a few hours earlier on my own and noticed how the fence seperating the railway tracks from the bike lane have been pushed open in quie a few places, making it easy for scumbag thieves to get away easily. What's the point of having a fenced off cycle lane if the fences dont get maintained? There were quite a few homeless people living along that stretch along the railway. Personally, this has convinced me not to ride that whole bit of the cycle lane from the Milnerton Flea Market all the way through into town, if I'm on my own. I think I'll feel safer with the traffic on the N1 and come off at Christiaan Barnard Street.

I rode this alone this morning and was thinking its actually quite dodgy by oneself, There is a false sense of security. I noticed the broken fences. Such a pity its great to ride by oneself on an easyride sometimes, but I suppose no more on this track, gutted

Sorry to hear about your friends ordeal.  I commute through there on a daily basis and have always found that section to be frequented by some dodgy looking characters. Sunday lunch time could also be particularly quiet around there and recon that one would be better off avoiding it.

@Newest ... you might be better off using Lower main road or the  N1....

I also like to use that piece when i do go out. My son dislikes it and preferes that we use Lower main road or the N1 .....

Edited by Slow_one

Sorry to hear, but we must keep posting to raise awareness. I generally do a naughty and skip that part of the track in the early mornings, via the N1...

Guest DieBees

Bloody buggers! How does he know that they are "possibly" from Tanzania? There should be CCTV somewhere in the vicinity there.

Sorry to hear, but we must keep posting to raise awareness. I generally do a naughty and skip that part of the track in the early mornings, via the N1...

Not naughty at all - the N1 is no longer a freeway at that point and it's perfectly legal to cycle there.