IDIOT without helmet

jt12

Jinna boeta... I've got some training wheels (ja on my one bike i dont ride much anymore..) that you can have :whistling:

Hope the rest of you is ok?

Mmm might just take you up on that.  :whistling:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how was the photo taken?? ummm with one hand on the bars!!! maybe the safest method??

do u always stop dead with a foot on the ground at a stop street??

"He is a danger for everyone, go and spend your time on a spinning bike then #safecycling" could apply to u as well I'm sure Mr Perfect cyclenutty 

i have been knocked down by a car twice, with and without a helmet yet, I am as healthy, strong, and everything else that most people are used to without any disability. i am fortunate to have survived both incidents and i can't speak for or against a helmet. 2 of my family members have been killed in cycling accidents, and they were wearing helmets. my personal rule is, if i do loops in my hood, no helmet. if i venture beyond that, i wear a helmet. let everyone be free to choose as they please. just bear in mind that when its your time to go, its your time to go, regardless of the condition that you are in at that point in time.

Yesterday I saw an elderly guy in Virgin Active kit going up Chappies from Noordhoek side without a helmet.Chased him down but when I realised he was older than myself, I just shut up .You can't teach old dogs new tricks.

Didn't take a pic!

Yesterday I saw an elderly guy in Virgin Active kit going up Chappies from Noordhoek side without a helmet.Chased him down but when I realised he was older than myself, I just shut up .You can't teach old dogs new tricks.

Didn't take a pic!

Saw him as well, but from Houtbay side early morning, also didn't bother saying anything when I got close and saw his age.

Must say though, was bitterly disappointed by the attitude of the majority of cyclists going around chappies and the general area. Was the first time I have ever ridden a bike through there and at both sides there is a massive sign saying single file, yet most of the groups ride so many abreast that they overflow into the oncoming lane. And granted at 0530am there are no cars so it's not the end of the world, but when headed back from the other side cyclists were still riding as such even to the extent that when a car pulled up behind them and hooted as they had no way of passing, the car was told to F off. I'm mean really, why the attitude. And on more then three occasions I witnessed this. Tried taking some of them up on it and got the same response.

And then when chappies gets closed to cyclists because of the up roar by motorist they bitch and moan.... Aai...

Sorry, rant over...

At last year's 24hr World Champs in Canberra, I'd just put my bike back together, and was riding around in circles (on tar) in front of my pit area just checking that everything was in working order when the Race Commissar drove over (yup, drove, in his ute) and told me that he was issuing me with an official warning for cycling without a helmet. If he caught me again, it would be a $300 fine, and a further transgression would be disqualification.

The previous day a guy had died on the course after face planting off a small drop off, and he used this as an example as to why I should have a helmet on. He didn't see the irony in that the guy who lost his life was in fact also wearing a helmet, but I wasn't going to point this out...

I put my helmet on, not to protect my brains, but to make the Aussie happy (and the fact that $300 is probably equivalent to the bond on my house!).

LOL, thats Australia for you. I don't break the law here like I did in SA. I don't mean I was totally reckless, but sometimes 120 meant 130 on the highway. Over here the consequences are just too big. I can't afford the fines, and I can't afford to lose my license. I make sure I come to a dead stop at stop streets and I don't go over the speed limits.

My wife got a $450 fine in our first couple of months here for driving in the bus lane. It was a lane that became the bus lane and she was oblivious. We lived on toasted sarmies that month and she wont ever make that mistake again.

What you experienced is a bit much though, but the law is applied literally and there are no grey areas.

It also saves hugely on internet bandwidth, because those helmet-less guys, regardless of what Chris Boardman says, and what logic dictates, would have been fined long ago and would be riding with helmets, and then threads like these wouldn't be happening.

Edited by javadude

I wear a helmet. I encourage my kids to wear a helmet. I however don't have any problems with people who choose not to unless you're doing an event or riding a trail centre where that's the policy.

I'm more worried about my kids swinging on the jungle gym monkey bars than riding their bikes on a path.

I wear a helmet. I encourage my kids to wear a helmet. I however don't have any problems with people who choose not to unless you're doing an event or riding a trail centre where that's the policy.

I'm more worried about my kids swinging on the jungle gym monkey bars than riding their bikes on a path.

I also do not care for them personally, but when cyclist blatantly disregard rules on the road it just adds to the peoples perception that we are arrogant idiots.

Also, if you are not wearing a helmet, how can you tell a driver to get off his cell phone :ph34r:

LOL, thats Australia for you. I don't break the law here like I did in SA. I don't mean I was totally reckless, but sometimes 120 meant 130 on the highway. Over here the consequences are just too big. I can't afford the fines, and I can't afford to lose my license. I make sure I come to a dead stop at stop streets and I don't go over the speed limits.

My wife got a $450 fine in our first couple of months here for driving in the bus lane. It was a lane that became the bus lane and she was oblivious. We lived on toasted sarmies that month and she wont ever make that mistake again.

What you experienced is a bit much though, but the law is applied literally and there are no grey areas.

It also saves hugely on internet bandwidth, because those helmet-less guys, regardless of what Chris Boardman says, and what logic dictates, would have been fined long ago and would be riding with helmets, and then threads like these wouldn't be happening.

If it wasn't for the Australian fixation with rules and regulations, I wouldn't have a job, so I'm not really complaining.

The up side is that people stick to the rules, you know where you stand, and everything does seem to work.

After the guy died, they made the race organisers remove the 1 foot drop off, and they had to have that area lit up all night. Thankfully, the officials didn't go higher up the course and discover some of the other terrifying stuff we had to deal with, otherwise it would have been a pretty boring ride ;)

Back to the helmet issue though - sometimes even helmet won't make a difference...

• 2 weeks later...

For those that say they have control over their circumstances when they ride around their neighbourhoods - if my wife hadn't been wearing her helmet in our estate, chances are I'd be feeding her and wiping the spit from her mouth. She came round a corner very slowly, but there was a bit of moss growing in the road. She hit the pavement on the corner and did her helmet in. No helmet, no wife. simple. Your arguments about just going out for a ride around the block are the same as those who used to say I don't need a seatbelt, I'm just going to the shops. If you don't want to wear a helmet, that's your choice but just keep a note on you for the paramedic to say DO NOT RESUSITATE. and save them the time and anguish.

I'm quite surprised at the general attitude and reasoning in this thread  :eek:

Imagine for a moment you are the driver of a car involved in an accident with a cyclist. Now what if that cyclist dies because of head trauma that would have been minimized or even prevented if said cyclist was wearing a helmet. Would you still argue that not wearing a helmet is nobody's business except that of the cyclist?

But as a motorist you should not be in an accident with a cyclist.

But as a motorist you should not be in an accident with a cyclist.

I am almost certain it's not Friday yet. 

For those that say they have control over their circumstances when they ride around their neighbourhoods - if my wife hadn't been wearing her helmet in our estate, chances are I'd be feeding her and wiping the spit from her mouth. She came round a corner very slowly, but there was a bit of moss growing in the road. She hit the pavement on the corner and did her helmet in. No helmet, no wife. simple. Your arguments about just going out for a ride around the block are the same as those who used to say I don't need a seatbelt, I'm just going to the shops. If you don't want to wear a helmet, that's your choice but just keep a note on you for the paramedic to say DO NOT RESUSITATE. and save them the time and anguish.

Good post this.

Wear that helmet, it costs nothing .