Scammer alert for Gumtree sellers

Re::Cycling

Scammer In my opinion. Using internet pics of products, saying he is selling his sons bike because he no longer rides it and he is only 24 odd but his "son" rode a small 29er Santa Cruz Chameleon... I'm happy to post the screen shot and you can see for yourself. He posted another ad last night but before I could catch it, it was gone again. This time XT 12spd derailuer , crank ,cassette and shifter. Was 11spd and cranks were Race Face Affects. I cant seem to add images here.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There it is... I'd be very wary.

Full Sram = Slx derailuer

Full carbon = Aluminium

Uncommon wheelset for local builds

Look at the background.

Price is a dead giveaway too.

post-13523-0-93679500-1593716854_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this topic, I had no idea it was a scam, although I was suspicious, he is using Payoneer now, I was wondering how he would scam with payoneer, so I googled payoneer scam gumtree and this topic came up which saved me some embarrassment. 

He goes by Graham Lewis now, here is is first email. 

Hi Bryan

Thanks for your response. I'm really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin, only if you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via payoneer as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with payoneer so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pick up once I have made the payment.

Was also wierd because they are obviously working off a script, I offered him things like a report from bike shop on the services, added extras etc, just blatantly ignores me and carries on with the script. Cut and paste scamming this, I still want to know how they scam with payoneer so going to play on a little longer and report back

1 hour ago, Bryan87 said:

Was also wierd because they are obviously working off a script, I offered him things like a report from bike shop on the services, added extras etc, just blatantly ignores me and carries on with the script. Cut and paste scamming this, I still want to know how they scam with payoneer so going to play on a little longer and report back

The fun part is giving them a fake bank addy and then telling them sure and then offer to let them collect the bike at some arbitrary address and you just do not pitch....but it would be Murphy's Law that in this one instance it would be legit :P

Hey guys and gals, please don't judge the Offshore industry so harshly. I've been a member of the Hub since '09 I think and I've bought tons of stuff while being Offshore. Just recently a pair of shoes from RenW with no hiccups. I usually check to see how long the person selling or buying has been a member. Bring back the comments as this helps with identification as someone will always know the seller/buyer. And never follow any link to a banking app or pay fast app etc that someone else has sent you.

Edited by Aquaman

On 10/17/2021 at 10:48 AM, Bryan87 said:

Thanks for this topic, I had no idea it was a scam, although I was suspicious, he is using Payoneer now, I was wondering how he would scam with payoneer, so I googled payoneer scam gumtree and this topic came up which saved me some embarrassment. 

He goes by Graham Lewis now, here is is first email. 

Hi Bryan

Thanks for your response. I'm really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin, only if you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via payoneer as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with payoneer so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pick up once I have made the payment.

Wow!! I came across this and I couldn't believe my eyes. I received the exact same email from this guy. Not being an idiot I obviously outright refused any of his attempts at getting me to use this payment route, but I'm just shocked at this. Hope no one fell victim. 

8 minutes ago, Aquaman said:

Hey guys and gals, please don't judge the Offshore industry so harshly. I've been a member of the Hub since '09 I think and I've bought tons of stuff while being Offshore. Just recently a pair of shoes from RenW with no hiccups. I usually check to see how long the person selling or buying has been a member. Bring back the comments as this helps with identification as someone will always know the seller/buyer.

As long as you don't buy anything for your cousin as a surprise you're good to go ????

Thanks for the reminder. 

I wanted to let everyone know I played along a little longer, he promises payment and then tells you that the guy collecting needs payment upfront for collection and that he will add the money to total price, if I can just pay him so long then he will pay me. At that point I got bored and told him where to get off ????

1 hour ago, Aquaman said:

Hey guys and gals, please don't judge the Offshore industry so harshly. I've been a member of the Hub since '09 I think and I've bought tons of stuff while being Offshore. Just recently a pair of shoes from RenW with no hiccups. I usually check to see how long the person selling or buying has been a member. Bring back the comments as this helps with identification as someone will always know the seller/buyer. And never follow any link to a banking app or pay fast app etc that someone else has sent you.

I'd like to see a video live from an offshore rig...

56 minutes ago, Craai said:

As long as you don't buy anything for your cousin as a surprise you're good to go ????

...yes, and wont send another cousin with a POP...

• 1 month later...

This guy just tried to scam me . This forum page helps, knew he was trying to scam from message and double checked here and turns out he is be careful everyone . He is using this number and email .+27 84 820 9395, lewisg203@yahoo.comBD756679-DE9E-418B-9752-477A9D2958BF.jpeg.ea7edfa636b7ea52bc5b2b96c76dc5b4.jpeg

A5D764A8-D823-490D-AC59-6185FE8A1A4D.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Luke said:

This guy just tried to scam me . This forum page helps, knew he was trying to scam from message and double checked here and turns out he is be careful everyone . He is using this number and email .+27 84 820 9395, lewisg203@yahoo.comBD756679-DE9E-418B-9752-477A9D2958BF.jpeg.ea7edfa636b7ea52bc5b2b96c76dc5b4.jpeg

tell him the courier can meet you and the bike at some random petrol station where you work (Funny that you are both in the petroleum field) ............. except you just do not pitch up 

49 minutes ago, Luke said:

This oil rig scam is getting old, can't these guys think of something more original?

10 minutes ago, Rudii said:

This oil rig scam is getting old, can't these guys think of something more original?

We should be grateful they're recycling the same old scam. Better chance people have heard of it...

On 10/21/2021 at 8:09 PM, Aquaman said:

Member since '09, with 11 posts?