Transporting a Momsen Vipa

pauloc

Hi Guys,

Any tips / suggestions on how best to transport a Momsen Vipa on a thule hanging bike rack? The shock gets in the way at the rear so the only options I see are to place the shock over the mount, or place the mount at an angle so that the back of the seat tube rests against it. 

Cheers,

Paulo

Thule has a specific bar for this.  Transport it like a normal hardtail!  Think is was less than R 500

Edited by Wimpieva

First prize would still be a platform type bike carrier, however, this is how I transport mine for the time being. 

Maybe try and put a piece of cloth around the area on the bike where you are planning on clamping it, as I have noticed, that from regular transport, the 'matt' black becomes shiny where you clamp it - if that makes sense at all?

post-44840-0-28359900-1419862130_thumb.jpg

First prize would still be a platform type bike carrier, however, this is how I transport mine for the time being. 

Maybe try and put a piece of cloth around the area on the bike where you are planning on clamping it, as I have noticed, that from regular transport, the 'matt' black becomes shiny where you clamp it - if that makes sense at all?

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Makes perfect sense and that's exactly what I'm worried about. Was thinking about going to the cloth route, but I quite like the idea of this special Thule bar. Will go check it out tomorrow.

Makes perfect sense and that's exactly what I'm worried about. Was thinking about going to the cloth route, but I quite like the idea of this special Thule bar. Will go check it out tomorrow.

May have one for you at home...

Those Thule cross bar things for odd frames are not great, tried one before, its a last resort only.

On my frame I turn the rubber thing the frame sits in sideways push it between the shock and cross bar then turn it back the right way up once its in, may work on the vipa.

Edited by Skylark

Those Thule cross bar things for odd frames are not great, tried one before, its a last resort only.

On my frame I turn the rubber thing the frame sits in sideways push it between the shock and cross bar then turn it back the right way up once its in, may work on the vipa.

Is that bar just too finicky? Looks like it may be a bit of mission to tie things down securely.

Looking at the pic above, it looks like there might be space to manouver the rubber cup through and then swivel it around, so will give it a try. Thanks for the tip :)

Tried the 2 different varieties of the Thule crossbar(new one and the old version), they work but they don't hold your frame/bike solidly or securely, the bike can swing side to side and expect the seatpost/frame/stem etc where the bar attaches(and needs to carry the full weight of the bike) to get some abrasion/rub.

Tried to get the plastic cup thing in between the shock and frame but there isn't enough space. Seems like the Thule adapter is finicky and going to introduce more problems than just mounting the bike directly onto the rack by placing the back of the seat post against the cup.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.