Di2 wireless transmitter and remote climbing shifter!

F1richard

Hi Everyone

A couple of points and questions .

Those of you that follow new shimano di2 development , will know that there is a wireless transmitter to show what gear you are in and your battery percentage on your garmin available to plug into your existing di2 integral or dura ace , and a remote steering fitted shifter that fits onto your handlebars for easy shifting .

My question is why are these components not available in South Africa ? I have asked numerous cycle shops to order them but all of their responses are either shimano SA have no clue what I'm talking about or the most common answer is there is no worldwide stock available . Bear in mind I have been trying to order since the launch of these products in 2014 , so no stock available is a nonsense answer , and on speaking to many bike shops , they all say that Shimano SA importers only bring in what they think will sell and will not take special orders .

Anyone care to shed some light on this ? Yes i know one can order from the UK or US , but why should we not be able to order legit Shimano components in our own country .

Thanks

Richard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eerything you have been told is the truth. You have to exercise patience with DA 9070 Di2 accessories. Even the groupsets are like hens teeth

• 2 weeks later...

I am having similar challenges obtaining a da9000 group set. Coolheat doesnt have all the parts in stock and does not know what they will receive with their next shipment.

Not very good for my lbs but this kind of cool heat incompetence is why I switched to sram in the first place.

I have just put Ultegra DI2 on my bike. Was advised against the remote shifters by the bike shop that fitted the system. Not sure if they had it in stock at all. I would be interested in retrofitting a wireless transmitter linked to my garmin.

The bike shop I use is " Design in Motion Cycles" in Morningside. They are normally capable of getting me whatever I need.

And the SA industry wonders why we buy most of our stuff online with answers like that!

I've got to the point where I don't give a hoot who goes under or who survives. The local industry doesn't deserve to survive (with a couple of exceptions).

Retailers bust their butts to keep your bikes riding but some suppliers are simply glorified order receipt points. Sweet fanny all in terms of service. I don't know when I'll get my groupset or I can order online for less money and get everything I WANT WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  A supplier based in JHB that cannot supply is inexcusable. Funny they were also in thick of the price fixing fiasco a few years back. 

My New years wish is for Shimano to get a better distributor in SA in 2015.

I have just put Ultegra DI2 on my bike. Was advised against the remote shifters by the bike shop that fitted the system. Not sure if they had it in stock at all. I would be interested in retrofitting a wireless transmitter linked to my garmin.

The bike shop I use is " Design in Motion Cycles" in Morningside. They are normally capable of getting me whatever I need.

The only reason they advised you against the remote shifters is because they cannot get them . Like I said , Shimano SA don't even know what they are . I ordered my wireless transmitter and remote climbing shifter from Evan's cycles in the UK , they will be here this week and I will fit them myself to my ultegra di2 system .

Will agree Coolheat have really dropped the ball of late, how much of this can be attributed to Shimano international who are from what I've heard and experienced can be a pain in thea A$$ (I can give you examples if needed).

It also doesn't help that we are in the arse end of Africa and turnover let in a year than Europe does in a week.

The only reason they advised you against the remote shifters is because they cannot get them . Like I said , Shimano SA don't even know what they are . I ordered my wireless transmitter and remote climbing shifter from Evan's cycles in the UK , they will be here this week and I will fit them myself to my ultegra di2 system .

Will you post on the hub or message me direct. Would love to know if these are worth it.

I have the D/Fly sensor and remote shifter on my DA group set supplied by to my LBS by Coolheat  ,no problems . The guys at Shimano (Ian/Jade ) even offered to update my firmware and make  sure the sensors are working 100% .

I have often found that the bike shops are too lazy to even make the phone call because they are too  embarrassed to say ( Sir I don't know what that is ) 

For both the parts it wasn't even R2000 .

Edited by Clinton H

The post above is the exact issue with suppliers in SA... clearly the guy above knows them and has had good service. Joe soap wants the same thing but suddenly they have no idea what he is talking about?

Strange, but not the first time i have heard this.

I went to Solomon's , BMC and cycle lab. I then phoned coolheat myself . They said that the parts are ordered and arriving August 2014 . Well is its 2015 already and every time I queried , there response was it was not sent with the shipment . You were very fortunate to get your parts , and I'm glad you did not battle .

What model di2 ultegra did you fit ? I fitted the 10 speed 6770 model only to find out its discontinued now , so if you damage the rear derailer you have to fit the new 11 speed di2 .

What model di2 ultegra did you fit ? I fitted the 10 speed 6770 model only to find out its discontinued now , so if you damage the rear derailer you have to fit the new 11 speed di2 .

I fitted the 11 speed, not sure of the reference number. Of course you then have to upgrade your cassete, I had to do 2 cassettes, as I have two sets of wheels. That was another 3.5 k.