Hill training when there are no hills??

jog5000

Hi all. I live in Kuwait at the moment... There are absolutely 0 mountains here, let alone hills! How can I do training to help my climbing for when I'm back in a proper riding environment?

ride trailing a parachute in the sand?

kidding aside, turbo trainer is what you want to simulate the constant, low cadence work typical of a hill climb.  A google says your biggest enemy using the turbo trainer is boredom, so the recommendation seems to be intervals and alternating between seated and standing pedalling. Raising your front wheel also seems to aid in achieving the objective. Maybe get some Sufferfest vids to egg on the motivation?

ride trailing a parachute in the sand?

kidding aside, turbo trainer is what you want to simulate the constant, low cadence work typical of a hill climb.  A google says your biggest enemy using the turbo trainer is boredom, so the recommendation seems to be intervals and alternating between seated and standing pedalling. Raising your front wheel also seems to aid in achieving the objective. Maybe get some Sufferfest vids to egg on the motivation?

Did you actually google your entire response ?

no, only the bits the forum trolls will query...

Yip, where is starts with "ride" and it finished with a question mark and all the bits in-between .

Many moons ago we rode the annual vets tour in Sabie / Graskop area . For those that dont know those are not hills but mountains . A guy came from Kroonstad , Free State = flat flat and won the KOM . Why ? His power/ weight ratio was right and he did intervals intervals intervals .