Remove rust of my chain and cassette set, can anyone help?

We went down to the Eastern Cape over December and had some wonderful rides on the MTB trails. I picked up some rust on my Scott Spark 920 chain and cassette despite all of efforts due to the excessive rain we had and the bike sleeping outside on my car locked away a few nights.

Can anyone help me with a solution please?

you can post on this treat or email me at cbk64@telkomsa.net

God Bless

Charl 

We went down to the Eastern Cape over December and had some wonderful rides on the MTB trails. I picked up some rust on my Scott Spark 920 chain and cassette despite all of efforts due to the excessive rain we had and the bike sleeping outside on my car locked away a few nights.

Can anyone help me with a solution please?

you can post on this treat or email me at cbk64@telkomsa.net

God Bless

Charl

Soak the chain in Deoxidine (get from your local hardware store) until all the rust is gone. This shouldn't take very long. Then clean the chain in petrol or similar and lube as usual. Oh, don't forget to take the chain off before doing all this.

If it's mild spots of rust here and there just do a regular chain lube as usual and ride. Will disappear on its own.

Use power paraffin the stuff they use to clean guns and a normal chain cleaner works like a charm.

I normally soak my chain in power paraffin overnight, then take n' little poly TFE in a shallow metal container and over a low heat on the gas stove i dump the chain in it you will see bubbles pop up as the oil starts to thin and seep into all the little grooves, remove and let it lay in the oil until it has completely cooled down hang it up so all the access oil drips off and off u go.

You will be amazed at how long your chain last.

Edited by Malpiet

Guest DieBees

All of the above. I have taken mine all off before, and wapped it. Then decreased, wapped again and then lubed it again. Wap is very controversial. But did it for me.